[Vision2020] Grain Exports

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 9 14:37:07 PDT 2005

Ron

The zone is actually from Lewiston to Tri-Cities, with reloading to ocean
going in Portland or Vancouver.  The tearing out of rails not only of the
lines mentioned by Chris, but also the old Milwakee line across to St Regis
took a lot of that transport back to rail to the Tri-Cities and pushed cargo
container traffic to use Rail in Portland or Seattle.

I appologize for lumping all of the other Port facilities from Lewiston to
Tri-Cities under a single banner.  It was a tad sloppy.  Thanks for pointing
it out.

But Hansen was infering with his rather snid post that the Columbia River
System was somehow not a significant waterway and that it could not possblyt
handle the shipment of Grain exports.  While New Orleans does ship almost
twice the grain that this system does, it is actually cheaper if rail were
still in place to do it, to ship from here and there is more than enough
availible capacity to do so for the Northern Tier and Midwestern grain
producers.

If we are at all serious about lowering our reliance on overseas oil, we
need to lower our use of fossil fuels by moving goods wisely, not on
semi-tractors, but on modern rail systems.  Just as importantly, we need to
have a better diversification for our Port systems so that the failure of a
single mega-Port like New Orleans does not so radically spin us toward
economic failure.

Phil Nisbet