[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President White (September 9, 2005)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Sep 9 05:31:06 PDT 2005

Copied and pasted below is today's (September 9, 2005) UI Friday Letter from
UI President White.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends Sept. 9, 2005

Dear Friends,

I want to thank everyone who has joined in the Hurricane Katrina
humanitarian relief effort through the University of Idaho and the multitude
of local, state and national efforts.

The University is welcoming a number of students whose education was
interrupted by the hurricane. By today, we expect to enroll students from
Idaho Falls, Bonners Ferry, Emmett, Twin Falls, Boise, Sandpoint, Blackfoot,
Gresham, Ore., and Seattle, Wash. According to Dan Davenport, admissions and
financial aid director, we've received nearly 30 inquiries about our 10
scholarships for students displaced by the hurricane, and he expects all the
scholarships to be filled by today.

We have received numerous offers of host homes for the students from
administrators, faculty, staff, local residents and even one student who
said, "while I'm not in the financial position to donate more, I do have a
room to offer." We also have opened our doors to graduate and law students,
and to faculty members at impacted universities who seek temporary placement
in teaching and research.

The Lionel Hampton School of Music and the Washington State University music
programs will conduct a benefit concert at 8 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 13 in the
UI Administration Auditorium. According to Jim Murphy, director of the
LHSOM, the students and faculty are simply doing what they can to raise
funds for Katrina relief, and they hope all 440 seats of the auditorium will
be filled with humanitarian concert-goers.
Admission will be by goodwill offering.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

If Sharon Stoll has any effect on the Atlanta Braves baseball team, fans
should expect better teamwork, better anger-management skills and a
steroid-free environment. Director of UI's Center for Ethical Theory and
Honor In Competitive Sports, Stoll is developing curriculum in moral
reasoning and character development for the Atlanta Braves. The curriculum
should be finalized and in use by February 2006. "We are excited about the
opportunity to work with the Braves," said Stoll.

"Hopefully we can provide some good training for the young men in their
program. Research has shown that if you improve moral reasoning, it will
stay."

Dietmar '66 and Pauline Kluth are helping the University of Idaho and the
College of Business and Economics integrate entrepreneurship into the
curriculum. Their $50,000 gift is making it possible for the college to
sponsor an annual Business Plan Competition. The first competition will be
held in spring 2006, and will be open to students from all disciplines. The
competition is part of a new universitywide entrepreneurship program known
as the Vandal Innovation and Enterprise Works (VIEW). Dietmar is a retired
Ore-Ida marketing executive and he continues to be involved in business and
start-up companies through his own venture, Kluth & Associates. Dietmar also
is a member of the UI Foundation. Their generosity is inspiring many others
to invest in this new program. We thank the Kluths for being the first in
line to support this effort to bring new ideas and opportunities to our
students.

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen

"What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they
are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say
about their cause, but what they say about their opponents."

-- Robert F. Kennedy