[Vision2020] The Wrong Bunch of Fanatics

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Sep 7 18:11:49 PDT 2005

>From today's (September 7, 2005) Moscow-Pullman Daily News and right-mind.us
-

The wrong bunch of fanatics

I am the manager of the Nuart Theater, downtown. The Nuart has been visited
lately by city of Moscow inspectors who are faithfully (and very politely)
doing their jobs. The problem is, they are being sent to us by concerned
residents who are fabricating complete lies. The inspectors have been asked
to come to us to inspect problems and conditions that don't exist.

Our city inspectors are running around on wild goose chases at the whim of
liars with a "religious" agenda. Some folks, when they have exhausted all
reasonable and legal methods of attack, get mad - and then they invent lies
and are anonymous.

Here at the Nuart we are used to religious persecution - we have recently
had our signs kicked and destroyed, our patio chairs smashed, verbal insults
hurled, nasty anonymous notes left on our door, schedules torn down, and
very often I clean spit off of our windows left by nonsupporters. And this
is all done in the name of making Moscow a better place to live. And this is
all done to us because we choose to carry books that talk about the Bible
and we want to tell people that God loves them.

None of this vandalism is surprising to me. Everyone serves their own world
view, and some will always serve their "religion" more fervently than
others. But I am dismayed that the vandals in this town are other than
inebriated teenage men.

Since proper taxation is a prevalent issue these days, I think you need to
be informed that your public servants are having their time wasted (i.e.,
your tax money) by religious fanatics who are bent on discrimination. And
those Moscow residents who wish certain religious fanatics would leave town
are focusing on the wrong bunch of religious fanatics.

Eric Engerbretson, Moscow

For those of you struggling to understand just what is being in Mr.
Engerbretson's letter, let me translate.

"Waaah"

As Elton John so eloquently put it, "I guess that's why they call it the
blues."

It will be most interesting to see how this plot unfolds.  Stay tuned.

Until then . . .

Take care, Moscow.

"I think one of the best ways to support education is to make successful
private schools like Logos prosper through tax exemption."

- Donovan Arnold (July 11, 2005)