[Vision2020] flooding the victims with blame

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Tue Sep 6 11:16:18 PDT 2005

I have found the recent exchanges regarding the horror in New Orleans more
than a little upsetting, but I think that Pat Kraut's comments today put me
over the edge.

I have often been broke -- short of money -- but I have never been poor, nor
will I ever be.  Unfortunately, this fallen world favors people like me:
educated, healthy, white, connected, and unfettered by the prejudices of
others.  Regardless of the status of my bank account, it's pretty damned
unlikely that I'll ever be without some form of political power, much less
transportation, and my political power as a member of the privileged class
isn't dependent on my checkbook.

These things can't be said of the majority of New Orlean's, and
Mississippi's, flood victims.  When you're poor, the first thing that goes
isn't necessarily money but choice and the power to exercise it.  The
Dworshak could flood and those Lewiston residents who can read, who have TVs
or the Internet, who have cars and cell phones and places to go --
connections with other people with resources to shelter them -- could likely
get out.  Those who don't, wouldn't.  The death toll in virtually any
natural disaster will always include in its majority the sick, the elderly,
the young, the broken, and the hopeless.

Pat and I have done battle over her less-than-charitable view of poor
people, and yet I think she's probably a pretty nice person -- a person who,
unfortunately, has first been lulled into complacency and then provoked into
judgment by a society that cares little for the poor and a Christian church
culture that isn't remotely interested in confronting it.

If you see Jesus among the poor, your heart breaks and your hand opens, but
if you place Jesus in the halls of political power and like being on the
right side, you blame those who aren't.

Where you seem Him makes all the difference in the world . . .

keely emerine mix