[Vision2020] Refugees (was Delete)

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Thu Sep 1 13:42:15 PDT 2005

Almost all of us want to respond to this human/natural tragedy in a helpful ways.

The problem currently is the lack of organization and planning needed to provide the immediate response in a fruitful and humane way.  The size and complexity of this problem makes it enormously difficult.   Human nature will be seen at its best and worst.  A huge federal effort needs to be mounted without footdragging and credit-taking. I cannot say that I am pleased or surprised by the lack of planning by FEMA.  The gulf coast has been and will continue to be a disaster in waiting as long the present developmental policies are continued.  That better plans were not in place is a national disgrace to be spread over many years of local, state, and federal agencies.

For ourselves,  contributing money is probably the most effective thing we can do.  However, it is hard to decide which channel through which to contribute.  We gave money for the tsunami relief through a trusted international channel.  That channel is not available so far in this disaster.  We gave money to the Red Cross for 9/11 only to find out that they didn't choose to spend it there.  Yet so far the Red Cross does not allow money to be contributed to specific disasters.

We will of course urge our federal government representatives to act quickly and decisively.  If you wish to do so, here is some contact information.

Butch Otter:  http://www.house.gov/otter/email.htm
Larry Craig:  http://craig.senate.gov/
Mike Crapo:  http://crapo.senate.gov/

George Bush:  http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/

Because it is so large, it is hard to understand the enormity of this disaster in terms of human and animal suffering.  Our greatest sympathy is with almost all the victims except, of course, those who loot or who are sniping (with real bullets) at medical and other evacuation and relief efforts.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com