[Vision2020] Patience: Lets not rush to judge the accuser, nor the accused

John Doe doe_rae_mi_doe at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 22 13:31:26 PDT 2005

To all concerned,

I do not know whether the accusations leveled by "Jane Doe" concerning Peg
Hamlet's past are accurate. Further, I understand the danger of allowing
unsubstantiated rumors to stand on their own two feet and sway opinions.
Nonetheless, given the nature of these accusation, and the very real sense
in this community that speaking out will garner retaliation - we cannot rush
to judgment.

We cannot rush to shame Peg Hamlet because she might not have done these
things. Nor can we rush to shame the poster because Peg Hamlet might have
done these things. This is a situation in which a local newspaper could
prove indispensable. No one else has the credibility, trustworthiness, nor
appearance of independence that a newspaper should and often does have.

The Daily News (DN) should seriously investigate these claims, putting out a
call to those who (if such people are actually out there) claim to have
experienced these things (if such things actually happened) first-hand. DN
can provide those people with the anonymity they (justifiably) require. DN
can report the results of such an investigation and let the public decide
for itself.

Some will suggest that such an investigation is unwarranted. To them, I
would just say that reasonable people can differ as to what will suffice to
allay concerns. After all, whoever takes the post of Mayor, is our city’s
most visible representative, and the overseer of law enforcement, keeping
the peace, and preservation of justice in our community – as is amply
demonstrated by the following excerpts from the Moscow City Code:

Chapter 7
CHIEF OF POLICE
Sec. 7-1: Office Established
Sec. 7-2: Duties
Sec. 7-3: Appointment of Police Personnel
Sec. 7-4: Police Officer
Sec. 7-5: Officers May Call for Assistance

Sec. 7-1. Office Established.
There is hereby established the office of Chief of Police, which office
shall be filled by appointment of the Mayor, with consent of the Council,
who shall hold office for the duration of the Chief of Police's appointment
or until such time as he or she may be removed by the Mayor, or as provided
by law.

Sec. 7-2. Duties.
In addition to the duties imposed upon the Chief of Police by Idaho Code, it
shall be the duty of the Chief of Police, under the direction of the Mayor,
to preserve the public peace and see that all laws are enforced within the
City and to perform such other duties as may be prescribed by this Code and
the ordinances and resolutions of the City or as the Mayor may direct.

Sec. 7-3. Appointment of Police Personnel.
The Chief of Police shall appoint such other police personnel as are
necessary to assist the Chief of Police in discharging his or her duties.
All such appointments shall be in accordance with adopted rules and
regulations therefore and shall be subject to approval by the Mayor.