[Vision2020] UI Email Hacking

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Wed Oct 19 15:32:15 PDT 2005

Hi Chas & Visionaries:

(Chas, I hope you're feeling better.)

Add me to the list of those who want more information.

My *very* limited understanding is that while it is very easy to spoof the
"from" address, the more problematic aspect that indicates hacking is that
the hoax email was sent out university wide via the university system.  My
understanding is that access to that listing of all email addys is tightly
controlled -- even faculty and department chairs lack the access to send a
university wide email themselves.

It is that access that seems to indicate that hacking happened.  At least,
that's my limited understanding.  Of course, I hope that those with more
technical information will correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

>From talking to friends who are UI students & employees, there's some real
nervousness on campus.  If there was unauthorized access of a tightly
controlled resource like that, what else is at jeopardy?  Confidential
employee information?  Student health records?  Could grades be changed and
transcripts altered?  How about payroll deductions?

Given the concerns expressed by the university community, I would think it
would behoove the UI to get some info out to reassure the university
community that things are secure, particularly given the morale problems the
UI has suffered over the past few years.

JMHO,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2005, Saundra Lund.
Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside the Vision 2020 forum
without the express written permission of the author.*****