[Vision2020] Challenge to the candidates: What's up with Weber &Lambert?

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Sat Oct 15 16:45:26 PDT 2005

Well, Bill, I agree that I wouldn't vote for someone who declines to asnwer
the reasonable and topical questions posed on vision2020.  But one of the
things that I gathered from the Daily News article was that Lambert is
saying the same things that Sue Scott was saying about Council needing to
make a decision and stop punting the downtown zoning issue back to P & Z.
If that's what he means by speeding things up, I think I agree with him.
But I sure disagree with him not letting us know where he stands on a number
of important local issues asked in the vision2020 candidate questionnaire.

My point is that I can't know what the non-responders think because they
didn't say anything.  Many citizens cannot make the forums, so answering
questionnaires and posting them on line is a very useful tool for the
electorate to gather information and get informed.  Moreover, most forums
are pretty pointless affairs when the field is as crowded as this one is.
The answers are sound bites -- 30 second and 60 second responses with very
little detail or substance.

The benefits of an on-line, posted, written response are significant.  The
response is available 24 hours a day for the course of the campaign, not for
an hour while most of us are at work.  The response can be far more detailed
and give much more insight into the candidates' thoughts -- if the candidate
wishes to disclose his or her thoughts, that is.  And of course, there is a
record of the response, so contradictory double-talk aimed at the audience
of the particular forum is a lot more difficult, at least without risking
being called on the shifting positions.  Finally, it takes a little thought
and effort to do a decent job of answering the candidate questionnaire in
any real detail, and the willingness to do that is another quality that is
worth evaluating in a candidate.

For all of these reasons, I find the absence of a response to the Vision2020
Candidate Questionnaire a glaring weakness in a candidate's resume.

Bruce Livingston