[Vision2020] Teachers and Teaching

TIM RIGSBY tim.rigsby at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 11 19:52:29 PDT 2005

Visionaries:

Currently I am student teaching in an unnamed school in an unnamed school
district in the state of Idaho.  Throughout my experience so far I can
honestly say that yeah, SOME teachers are overpaid, SOME teachers make just
the right amount of money, and FEW teachers are paid enough.  Considering
most professions that come from four years of college, a college degree,
advanced training, volunteer work, and other requirements of college
students these days, most beginning teachers are underpaid.

$27,500 for a first year teacher really is not much money considering what
beginning teachers must do to be fully prepared for a new job post
graduation from college.  Pretty much every new teacher heads into their
first job with virtually nothing for their classroom.  Granted yes, the
teacher that was in the room before may have left some books, a few posters,
and a stapler, but most new teachers have diddly for their classrooms.  A
large part of an effective school and an effective teacher is the
environment for which students actively participate in learning, ie the
classroom space.  In order to fully and adequately fill the need of a safe
and hazard free learning environment, many teachers must invest many hours
and dollars into resources for their classroom.  In an ideal world, the
school itself would provide these resources, but since this is Idaho, the
resources are provided by the teacher.  Think of what books cost for a
classroom library specific to the content you teach; the cost of videos and
other forms of media to enhance learning; think of the cost of posters and
other artwork that help establish a diverse and exciting learning
environment.  Now who ultimately pays for these things?  It is not the
school, it is not the parents, it is not the students, it is the teacher,
the beginning teacher.

Another area of though would be to compare the training of a teacher to the
training of other professionals, engineers, doctors, lawyers, etc.  Most
teachers go through a 4 year training period with at least a full semester
dedicated to unpaid practicum experience.  Now at the same time, most
students studying engineering, law, and medicine also fulfill a 4 year
program prior to advanced training which may or may not include an
internship, most of which are paid internships that eventually lead to a job
that is paid.  Okay, now consider the time a teacher spends pursuing
continuing education credits or a masters degree.  Just like their
professional counterparts, engineers, doctors, and lawyers, advanced
training is a requirement of the profession.  And just like their
professional counterparts, an increase in pay is awarded.  However, the rate
of increase of engineers, doctors, and lawyers, drastically jumps leaps and
bounds above that of teachers.  This old question comes to mind, who is
responsible for preparing doctors, lawyers, and engineers?  The answer is
always teachers yet those professionals almost always are paid more than the
one who trained them.

The bottom line of this rant is that we as a society obviously do not value
educators as much as we value professionals in engineering, law, and
medicine.  We also obviously don't value teachers as much as professional
athletes who generally are looked upon as role models yet get bailed out of
jail, abuse drugs and alcohol, and get caught with hookers on a regular
basis.  Now is the time to value education and ask for more money for MOST
teachers and demerits for SOME.

What is the process of evaluation for paying these teachers?  I don't feel
as though I have an answer to that question.  George W. Bush has suggested
that NCLB and testing be the evaluation.  Is this really an authentic
evaluation?  The answer to the question about how to evaluate teachers is
probably not in student performance as not all students will perform on a
standardized test. A cookie cutter assessment may not work well for our
teachers either.  It will take a while, with lots of trial and error to
fully understand the complicated world of teacher and student assessment.

Tim Rigsby

Revolution is not a word but an application; it is not war but peace; it
does not weaken, but strengthens. Revolution does not cause separation; it
generates togetherness.
-John Africa, Strategic Revolution