[Vision2020] Idaho Teachers Among Nation's Lowest Paid

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 18:43:34 PDT 2005

On 10/11/05, keely emerinemix <kjajmix1 at msn.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Don -- good to hear from you, and I appreciate your thoughts.
> Frankly, I would find $29,000 tight even if I were single and childless,
> especially if I had to pay off loans.

Most teachers in Idaho are underpaid.  Frankly, most teachers
EVERYWHERE are underpaid, considering the importance of their jobs.
Still, I do find Keely's statement hard to swallow.  The wife and I
managed to live fairly comfortably as a family of four on less than
$29,000; I think it might depend on what level of income you are
coming from.  When I tell people I was dirt poor growing up, I am
exaggerating.  Most dirt in Idaho had more money than I did.  Nearly
$30k for four people would have seemed like obscene opulence. ;-)

Having said above that most teachers are underpaid, how many good
teachers did you have as a kid?  I have one, arguably two, who fit
that category, with most of the remainder being fair to mediocre, and
a few being truly horrendous.

Does a horrendous teacher deserve $29k a year, or should they be sacked?