[Vision2020] speaking of bicycles

Tom Ivie the_ivies3 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 6 10:48:55 PDT 2005

Those with vision,

I think Phil Cook in his letter to the editor in the Oct. 4th paper misunderstood my previous statement.  My point in my letter to the editor was: why would we allow on-street parking in a new subdivision but remove parking from the block and a half that has the highest density population?  It just seemed inequitable to me. I didn’t say on-street parking provides traffic calming, a developer’s engineer did. I just quoted what he stated to the City Council.

Phil suggested all parking should be removed off Third to make it safe for bicyclists.  I would love to see only bicyclists and pedestrians using Third but it’s not feasible.  We can, however, preserve this street for their use by reducing the amount of traffic on it.  With his possitive stance on the importance of bicycles as an alternative means of transportation and as a member of the Transportation Commission, it surprises me that Phil voted in favor of the proposal to extend Third to Mt. View when it certainly would increase traffic.  Remove all parking, some modifications, and I suppose we could have a four-lane road!

The perfect alternative is for a bicycle, pedestrian, and handicap bridge over Paradise Creek.  This alternative addresses a need in our city for ways to more safely move pedestrian and bicycle traffic.  This proposal came out of a brainstorm session at the Sept. 10th City Repair workshop, see http://moscowwiki.editme.com/3rdStCrossing . A pedestrian and bicycle crossing at Paradise Creek would offer pedestrians and bicyclists the opportunity to get to and from Mt. View while being able to enjoy the creek and the opportunity to travel Third Street by way of the flattest East/West route available to Moscow.  Instead of dividing a neighborhood, this alternative would keep it together, make the neighborhood more cohesive, as well as preserve and add to the ambiance of Moscow.

Vote for Aaron Ament, Kit Craine, and Bob Stout for City Council, and Nancy Chaney for Mayor. They understand the complexities of the issues, not just bits and pieces.

Tom Ivie