[Vision2020] Arboretum Update?

Linda Pall lpall at moscow.com
Thu Oct 6 18:32:21 PDT 2005

Dear Tim Lohrmann, Tim Ewers and Visionaries,

I apologize for not responsding sooner and being a little behind the curve.
I've been under the weather but I'm hopefully on the mend. I appreciate Tim
Ewers' review of the course of the proposal. That's about the way I remember
it also. The bottom line, however, is that EVERYBODY wants a project we can
ALL be proud of, that doesn't create problems. I believe we can get there,
with fields and with a beautiful Arboretum as one of our community assets.

I also have to say that the existing proposal I have seen for ball fields on
the
property purchased several years ago for the purpose of providing additional
ball field space does not qualify in my book as an extravagant softball
megaplex... but then, I'm not sure what a megaplex is, so I had better be
careful here... The Mayor and Council have received numerous letters,
e-mails and phone calls on all sides of the project. The Arboretum Board has
written a very helpful letter expressing their official concerns. The Parks
and Recreation Commission disucssed this project last week again and looks
forward to further direction and clarification from the Mayor and Council,
following a Mayor/Council workshop to be held Tuesday, October 18, at 7 PM
at the Hamilton Indoor Recreation Center. We want to hear all voices and
give everyone a meaningful opportunity to be heard.

The park proposal for ball fields adjacent to West Palouse River Drive that
has been on the city's drawing board for about three years is still under
discussion. I invite you ALL to be part of the community conversation about
meeting the recreation needs of our youth and retaining the integrity of our
community resources like the Arboretum.

I am forwarding this to Dwight Curtis, our director of Parks and Recreation.
I encourage you to attend the workshop meeting that is being scheduled for
this project. Recapping, the date for the council workshop where everyone is
invited to comment and look to the future of the park land and our need for
ball fields has been set. It will be Tuesday, October 18, at 7 PM at the
Hamilton Indoor Recreation Center, next to the Aquatics Center on
Mountianview Road. We anticipate the meeting to go until 9-9:30 P.M. The
City will publicize it widely. If for any reason that date is inconvenient
for you, I invite you to look at what is being proposed and to send your
comments in writing.

I look forward to making every park in Moscow, including this one, a
positive addition to the livability of its neighborhood and that of the
entire community.

I believe there are many options for development of the park project that
will enhance the surrounding neighborhood. I also hope that everyone who is
part of this process will extend good will to others engaged in this
conversation because I believe we are all looking for good results for our
children, for our neighborhoods and for our community. I look forward to
exploring the options as this project is discussed and decisions are
finalized.

All the best,

Linda Pall
Moscow City Council Member