[Vision2020] Not A City Resident, But Still Human

tbertruss at aol.com tbertruss at aol.com
Mon Oct 3 18:14:09 PDT 2005

J and Donovan et. al.

In fact a resident of MSD who has a child in MSD, but lives outside the city limits, does have to follow many city codes, and is subject to fines determined by city code, when they are in the city limits, of course.

I did address the point, that Donovan says I did not, that state law covers some of my examples given in this discussion.  But continuing Donovan's convenient style of obfuscation of sensible argument, he did not address the fact that the MPD, unless I am wrong, can enter MSD property to enforce or deal with state law issues, and the conduct of the MPD in these matters is an issue that Moscow City government can address, conduct that a parent who lives outside the city limits with a child in MSD sensibly might wish to influence, for example, by talking to the Moscow Chief of Police.

To claim that a parent with a child in MSD should not talk to the Moscow Chief of Police about how MPD officers are trained to deal with juveniles, and offer their input, just because they live outside the city limits, defies common sense, though there may be some strictly legal argument to support such an approach.

Donovan also chose to ignore the simple example of a parent with a Gay or Black or Islamic child in MSD, who lives outside the city limits, seeking to influence the Moscow City Council to make a human rights statement regarding race, sexual orientation, religious persecution, etc. another action a non-city resident with a child in MSD should not be blocked from pursuing.

Donovan has some good points on this issue, but I think he takes his argument to extremes, not allowing for the legal gray area involved between city and county, when MSD is located in both, with many of those living outside the city limits with children in MSD subject to city law and city government institutions every day of the week.

Ted Moffett