[Vision2020] Candidate Chastisement

Tim Hillebrand chief at synergetics.org
Mon Oct 3 09:47:46 PDT 2005

Wanting to be an informed citizen, and not having the benefit of any
literature whatsoever on any of the city council/mayorial candidates for the
looming election, and not knowing all of them personally, I thought I would
just visit their Websites for the information. Lo and behold, I could not
find a Website for even one of the candidates, which is unfathomable to me
this day and age. I would think that it would be the first thing a candidate
would do, even before filing. In fact, it ought to be a requisite for
running. I can't think of a better, more cost-effective means of letting the
broadest spectrum of citizens know about you and your platform. I find it
difficult to take a candidate seriously who doesn't have such a simple,
rudimentary means of informing the constituency. And, you can say so much
more on a Website than you can in a brochure. It's not as if Moscow consists
of a bunch of computer illiterates. If fact, it is, perhaps, a little
insulting to the community that our candidates seem to be so electronically
unadroit.

I must say, though, that the search exercise was not without its amusements
and awards. For instance, I found a quotation from Peg Hamblet informing the
City Council that, as an aerobics instructor, most of her students would not
pass the strictures of the topless ordinance. I discovered several probate
notices for Walter Steed, and found that he may be a judge in Utah with
three wives and countless offspring.

Anyway, I say shame on all of you, and I suggest that you get with it and
get out some e-blicity for your own good and the good of the community. It
will save you money in the long run. Consider a blog as a possible
alternative. By the way, I'm available for Website design. I charge $1500
per hour, but give deep discounts for candidates who promise to vote as I
dictate--just kidding.

The uninformed,
Tim Hillebrand