[Vision2020] Bugger Moscow (was "Not a city resident")

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 2 10:58:34 PDT 2005

On Oct 2, 2005, at 8:20 AM, josephc at mail.wsu.edu wrote:

> For the record, I live in Moscow and I am happy to have Rose and Joan
> and Melynda share their opinions about the town. And not just because
> I tend
> to agree with them. What we need is more discourse about Moscow, not
> less of it. We should be grateful to get any feedback that we get,
> whether we
> agree with it or not.

Dear Joe and other Visionaries:

Actually, I've changed my mind.  Donovan's right.  Bugger Moscow.  Why
should I care?  Sure, I live in the 83843 zipcode, and my kids attend
Moscow public schools, but I'm done giving a damn about the town and
what happens there.  I am so done, in fact, that I refuse to shop in
Moscow anymore.  I'll stop buying my clothes at Tri-State; I'll buy
them from the Orvis catalog instead.  I can also order my .30-06 deer
ammo and my 20 gauge turkey shot online from The Sportsman's Guide, and
I can get my hunting license and my tags from the Troy Market.  (They
appreciate my business at the Troy Market.  They tell me so every time
I shop there.)  Of course, I'll also have to give up going to the Slurp
& Burp, and Mikey's Gyros, and Wheatberries, and The Red Door, but Troy
has the White Pine Cafe and the Dog House Saloon, so I'll be fine.
I've learned that gas at the Troy Conoco costs exactly the same as gas
at Moscow's Tesoro station, and they sell the very same Powerball
tickets!

Troy has a nice little Post Office.  No lines, ever.  And if I need
anything else -- anything whatsoever -- I'll just drive down to the
Clarkston Costco, or up to Spokane's World Market, or I'll order it
over the Internet.  Sorry Bob, sorry Betsy -- I love BookPeople, but
I'll just have to wait those few extra days to get my books from
Amazon.com.  Now, according to my Visa and American Express card
statements, my decision to stop interfering in Moscow business will
cost retail establishments in the city about $15,000 per year.  But
what's $15,000?  Peanuts!  I'm sure those businesses will survive.  The
Co-Op doesn't need me, and neither does Wild Women Traders, or Hodgins,
or The One World.  Nope, Moscow businesses will be fine without me --
unless, of course, I can convince others who live outside of city
limits but within the city's sphere of influence to follow my example.
Oh, wait!  I bought a new car at Paradise Ford a few months ago . . .
better add $27,000 to that original $15,000.  But heck, they sell cars
down in Lewiston, don't they?

Please tell your uncle, Donovan, that I'll be returning a coat, two
pairs of shoes, four pairs of Elder hiking socks, a pair of Carhartt
overalls, some kitchenwares and a packet of beef jerky to Tri-State
this afternoon.  I've bought them all in the last month, so they've
hardly been used.  Well, except for the beef jerky.  I opened that, but
it was really salty, and since I regret all of my Moscow purchases,
maybe your uncle will cut me some slack.  As for my kids and their
attendance in the Moscow public schools, what are they learning there,
anyway?  Math and English and crap like that.  Who's going to teach
them the really important things, like the true age of the earth (6000
years), Intelligent Design, and the beauty of female submission?  From
now on, I will disengage.  I'll just load the kids up with pens and
pencils and send them off without so much as a fare-thee-well.

I'm not selling any of that damned fundraiser wrapping paper for them,
I can tell you that!

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com