[Vision2020] Capitalist Voting (was "Bugger Moscow")

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 2 21:03:49 PDT 2005

Dear Joe and other Visionaries:

You and Joan have changed my mind. Joan's right. She
should have a vote in Moscow for the three major
reason she pointed out.

1) She has the same federally designated zip code. It
is only fair that someone with the same federal
designated zip code be given the rights to vote in the
city elections. Many students live in the 83844 zip
code. So any student should also be allowed to vote,
including foreign exchange students.
We should also allow Boise and Twin Falls to vote in
Moscow elections, they live in the same area code of
208. All us 83843s and 208s need to be able to vote
together. Arbitrarily designated mailing codes created
by the federal government officials that never set
foot in Moscow and telephone codes should play an
integrate role in determining who gets to vote.

2) She has children. Obviously anyone with children
should have the right to vote in city elections that
do not control or determine any school policies. And
if you have two children, it should logically follow
that you have two votes. And if you have three
children three votes, and so forth and so forth for
each child and grandchild you have.

3)She spends money here. She spends $15,000 a year,
plus more for a car now and then. So logically, she
should get to determine when I can water my lawn and
how much water I can use, and of course what can be
different buildings. Clearly, for every $15,000 a
person spends in Moscow, they should get one vote. If
someone spends $30,000, they can get 2 votes. We can
round to the nearest $5,000, so with Joan's new car,
she gets 3 votes + one for each child.

Of course this would mean Wal-Mart would then get
about 200 votes and Christ Church about 800. I will
not mention how much other outside residents get
considering their contribution to the University and
construction.

This all sounds very logical and fair to me. How could
it not? Just because someone does not have to pay city
fees, higher property taxes for living in the city, or
follow the laws set forth by the city, does not mean
they should not be given their God-given right to
determine what taxes and fees we city folk will have
to pay and what laws we should have to follow that
they do not have to follow.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold

Actually, I've changed my mind.  Donovan's right.
Bugger Moscow.  Why
should I care?  Sure, I live in the 83843 zipcode, and
my kids attend
Moscow public schools, but I'm done giving a damn
about the town and
what happens there.  I am so done, in fact, that I
refuse to shop in
Moscow anymore.  I'll stop buying my clothes at
Tri-State; I'll buy
them from the Orvis catalog instead.  I can also order
my .30-06 deer
ammo and my 20 gauge turkey shot online from The
Sportsman's Guide, and
I can get my hunting license and my tags from the Troy
Market.  (They
appreciate my business at the Troy Market.  They tell
me so every time
I shop there.)  Of course, I'll also have to give up
going to the Slurp
& Burp, and Mikey's Gyros, and Wheatberries, and The
Red Door, but Troy
has the White Pine Cafe and the Dog House Saloon, so
I'll be fine.
I've learned that gas at the Troy Conoco costs exactly
the same as gas
at Moscow's Tesoro station, and they sell the very
same Powerball
tickets!

Troy has a nice little Post Office.  No lines, ever.
And if I need
anything else -- anything whatsoever -- I'll just
drive down to the
Clarkston Costco, or up to Spokane's World Market, or
I'll order it
over the Internet.  Sorry Bob, sorry Betsy -- I love
BookPeople, but
I'll just have to wait those few extra days to get my
books from
Amazon.com.  Now, according to my Visa and American
Express card
statements, my decision to stop interfering in Moscow
business will
cost retail establishments in the city about $15,000
per year.  But
what's $15,000?  Peanuts!  I'm sure those businesses
will survive.  The
Co-Op doesn't need me, and neither does Wild Women
Traders, or Hodgins,
or The One World.  Nope, Moscow businesses will be
fine without me --
unless, of course, I can convince others who live
outside of city
limits but within the city's sphere of influence to
follow my example.
Oh, wait!  I bought a new car at Paradise Ford a few
months ago . . .
better add $27,000 to that original $15,000.  But
heck, they sell cars
down in Lewiston, don't they?

Please tell your uncle, Donovan, that I'll be
returning a coat, two
pairs of shoes, four pairs of Elder hiking socks, a
pair of Carhartt
overalls, some kitchenwares and a packet of beef jerky
to Tri-State
this afternoon.  I've bought them all in the last
month, so they've
hardly been used.  Well, except for the beef jerky.  I
opened that, but
it was really salty, and since I regret all of my
Moscow purchases,
maybe your uncle will cut me some slack.  As for my
kids and their
attendance in the Moscow public schools, what are they
learning there,
anyway?  Math and English and crap like that.  Who's
going to teach
them the really important things, like the true age of
the earth (6000
years), Intelligent Design, and the beauty of female
submission?  From
now on, I will disengage.  I'll just load the kids up
with pens and
pencils and send them off without so much as a
fare-thee-well.

I'm not selling any of that damned fundraiser wrapping
paper for them,
I can tell you that!

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com