[Vision2020] Health Insurance (was) The CO-OP Sells Stuff From China/Wal-Mart Salary

Ron Force rforce at moscow.com
Mon Nov 28 09:14:12 PST 2005

Tom, you do know that the Tri-Care program is set up by the Department of
Defense for military retirees, and is heavily subsidized by the federal
government, to the tune of $50 billion.  As I read about it, I saw that the
plans were originally to put all military retirees under Medicare when they
reached 65. Because of retiree objections, and political pressure, this was
canceled, and the cost of Tri-Care is now estimated to balloon to $150
billion in 20 years.

It would be great if the state of Idaho could subsidize employee health care
the way the DoD does.  Without access to the Treasury printing press and the
ability to pass on our expenses to future generations through the Federal
deficit, it's not likely. The University is struggling with retiree health
care which was promised under a long-ago administration, but never properly
funded. UI is the only Idaho state agency that currently offers retiree
health insurance of any kind.

Ron Force          Dean of Library Services
U of Idaho         PO Box 442350
Moscow ID 83844    rforce at uidaho.edu
(208) 885-6534

  Arnold stated:

  "Many people at Wal-mart make more than you do. The Wal_Mart health
insurance program is better than the UI Student Health Insurance program,
and it comes with the job."

  If, by your latter sentence, you are suggesting that Wal-Mart is better
than the insurance program in which I am a member, Arnold, let me fully
assure you that you couldn't be more wrong.

  I am NOT a subscriber/user/member of UI's Blue Cross insurance plan.  I am
a member of Tri-Care.  Tri-Care's premiums are virtually non-existent.  The
most I ever pay for prescriptions under Tri-Care's co-pay policy is $9.00.
As far as medical/hospital coverage under Tri-Care is concerned:  Two years
ago I underwent a double hernia operation at Gritman.  In addition to the
operation, Tri-Care covered a two-night stay at Gritman.  The invoice total
was in excess of $10,000.  Out-of-pocket I paid $359.50.  My Tri-Care policy
currently expires at age 65.  However, due to slow and deliberate
degeneration of Medicare, consideration is currently being given to
extending Tri-Care policies for life.

  The reason why I explained this, Arnold, is to suggest that not only
should UI adopt an insurance program comparable to Tri-Care, but Wal-Mart
should offer its employees nothing less.

  And . . . oh, yeah . . . my Tri-Care policy came with my job up until I
retired and continues to this day.

  Take care, Moscow.

  "I think one of the best ways to support education is to make successful
private schools like Logos prosper through tax exemption."

  - Donovan Arnold (July 11, 2005)