[Vision2020] The CO-OP Sells Stuff From China/Wal-Mart Salary

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Fri Nov 25 18:32:08 PST 2005

Donovan,

I think the difference between foreign goods sold at the Co-Op and foreign
goods sold at Wal-Mart is probably the difference between fairly traded
products and sweatshop production.  My guess is that the Co-Op extends its
fair-trade, sustainable, high-quality ethic to handcrafted goods, not just
coffee and other staples.

This year I bought most of my Christmas gifts from Third World artisans via
a catalogue put out by a ministry we support.  I am pleased to give my money
to small, worker-owned local cooperatives that make sculpture, jewelry,
kitchen textiles, household goods, clothing, etc., and I consider it a
privilege to do so, especially at Christmas.  Many of these cooperatives are
women-owned, all are locally managed, and the profits are distributed
fairly.  Sweatshops are generally even worse for women than they are for
men, are owned by foreign or largely absent conglomerates, and profits are
rarely, if at all, distributed back to workers.

In the end, it's about dignity, justice, quality and empowerment.  When
those words can be applied to Wal-Mart's suppliers, I might consider going
back . . .

keely