[Vision2020] The Walmart Clash

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 26 02:44:46 PST 2005

As is often my risk in discussions on this medium, I find that debate
regarding Walmart here to be a false dichotomy and largely due to lack of
understanding on the part of some who debate the issue.

Jeff, as one example, is an ardent supporter of Free Enterprise and Free
Trade.  But is Walmart a Free Trade company?  Is Walmart competitive and
playing from a business level field or are they similar to the monopoly
trust structures of the Robber Barons that the GOP bought to heel over a
hundred years ago?

Standard Oil during its early years was quite cost competitive, largely due
to its practice of destroying competitive enterprises and consolidating
their bankrupt hulks into JD Rockefeller’s trust.  At what point do
Walmart’s practices deserve scrutiny under the Sherman Act?  And I am not
saying that they have indeed reached that point, but read their literature
and you see their constant suggestion that they can treat suppliers like
chattels because of their size.

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:Sl3RZcn5f0YJ:www.loe.org/shows/segments.htm%3FprogramID%3D05-P13-00043%26segmentID%3D1+Walmart+Environmental+contributions&hl=en

IN this you will note that Walmart tells the press that they have a new
Environmental emphasis and have decided that they will tell their growers
that they must now grow organic cotton at extremely low prices or not sell
to Walmart.  What I really loved was the suggestion that the farmers could
allow this to go on based not on real economics, but upon the basis that
they let their lands lie fallow for the season after they have the cotton in
the ground and could plant a second alternative crop to survive selling
cheap organic cotton to Walmart.  The CEO suggests to the reporter that
Walmart can do this because they are so big that they can force suppliers to
do what they want them to do.  That is an indication of monopoly power.

You see the same sorts of statements in this one from Walmart,

http://walmartstores.com/GlobalWMStoresWeb/navigate.do?catg=217

Then of course there is a lot of Greenmail going on at Walmart.  World
Wildlife Federation gets a million and a half dollars a year from Wally
World.  Other heads of certain environmental organizations get seats on
their green advisory board.  Walmart is in essence paying off groups to go
away and setting up funds to keep those groups chasing their competition
from the scene.  This sort of thing is highly anti-competitive and really
makes for a very uneven playing field.

Take for an example the Walmart policy of buying in 1 acre of land for
conservancy for every acre they disturb in building their stores.  These
sorts of activities are not good land use policy, since they restore no
disturbed lands and instead take lands from productive use, while what
Walmart does not tell you is that such land conservancy is a giant loophole
in tax policy.  Smaller stores simply do not have the clout to play this
game or get the tax benefit that results from it.

On the other hand, I find it interesting that those on the left are so
absolutely angered by Walmart.  For years now I have seen most of the
practices that Walmart actually does being touted by the left as “Corporate
Responsibility”.  Wally World gives till it hurts to every cause of the left
and they are not exactly friendly to any libertarian or right causes.  They
are shoveling over a hundred million bucks a year into left leaning groups,
far more than any other corporate entity.

IN general, from what I can determine, Walmart is not something a true Free
Enterpriser can support.  At some point soon it makes sense to see greater
scrutiny of them from an Anti-Trust standpoint.  Their use of regulation to
drive others from the field, their use of Greenmail pay offs, their giving
to the left and a raft of other attempts to keep the playing field of Free
Markets from operating will not mean low prices in the long run.

That said, fighting Walmart does not make a lot of sense to me.  A battle
royal against Wally World is not going to bring jobs to Moscow and its jobs
that we lack that are driving our small retailers and small businesses into
receivership.  If half the efforts heading into attacks on Walmart were
directed to getting real jobs here, we would be booming and downtown would
be rolling in the purchasing power that could be ours.

Just as an example, Bill London is going hog wild setting up an anti-Walmart
group with publicists and the rest.  What if that same sort of group was set
up to do volunteer work to get support for and sales possibilities for the
area’s organic farmers?  How about if the same effort was put into work to
attract desirable businesses to the area?  Because that is the sort of
effort required to save downtown and all the rallies and all the attack on
Wally World will not change the fact that real industry is what we need to
make Moscow viable.

Phil Nisbet