[Vision2020] The Walmart Clash

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Sat Nov 26 06:45:37 PST 2005

Phil,

As the old engineering saying goes, "It's hard to
remember your objective is to drain the swamp
when you're up to your ass in alligators."

Your sentiment is correct. The Coop expansion
significantly increased the number of jobs
available at the Coop and improved market
potential for local producers by increasing the
Coop's local market share.

Mark

"That said, fighting Walmart does not make a lot
of sense to me.  A battle royal against Wally
World is not going to bring jobs to Moscow and
its jobs that we lack that are driving our small
retailers and small businesses into receivership.
If half the efforts heading into attacks on
Walmart were directed to getting real jobs here,
we would be booming and downtown would be rolling
in the purchasing power that could be ours.

Just as an example, Bill London is going hog wild
setting up an anti-Walmart group with publicists
and the rest.  What if that same sort of group
was set up to do volunteer work to get support
for and sales possibilities for the area’s
organic farmers?  How about if the same effort
was put into work to attract desirable businesses
to the area?  Because that is the sort of effort
required to save downtown and all the rallies and
all the attack on Wally World will not change the
fact that real industry is what we need to make
Moscow viable."

Phil Nisbet