[Vision2020] BUY AMERICAN BUY WAL-MART

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 23 19:06:45 PST 2005

    Hansin,

  The average salary in the United    States is 20,000K  a year or about $10  an hour for 2,000 hours of work a year. The average household, with an average  of 2.5 residents, has an average combined income of about $45,000-$55,000.

  Engineers were not making $75,000 a year thirty years ago. The reason why labor  wages have gone down is because the supply of labor has increased while demand  for it has decreased.  That is part of the reason the US needs to get  out of the labor market, it pays poorly except in the medical field.

  Food is cheaper now then it has been in the past as a % of our total income.  Only 10% of the national GNP is spent on food. Most nations spend about 30%.  This gives us 20% more of our income to invest in other more profitable venues.  If 20% of our income is spent on meeting our nations basic needs, we can spend  the remaining 80% on investing in better jobs. Further, if I buy a shirt for $2  instead of $5, I save $3 and invest it in something else, like a computer  program. That computer program creates a job for a computer programmer which is  a better job than making a t-shirt in factory. The American way of doing  business provides better jobs and a greater number of goods and services for a  lower cost. The Hansin way of doing things prevents the creation of new jobs  and economic growth.

  Again, the evidence that the US  system of doing things right is that it is the most powerful and wealthiest  nation on the planet. We are by no means starving in this country. The proof is  in the pudding.

  Your protection of goods, by buying by the label, rather than buying the best  good for the needed use, is called "Protectionism", an idea that DOES  NOT WORK, it hurts the nation in the long run. As a worker, I would want you to  buy my product because it is the one you want, not because I am a US citizen, to  do otherwise is nationalism and charity.

  -DJA

Tom Hansen <idahotom at hotmail.com> wrote:  Jeesh, Arnold!

Your analysis of what you perceive to be the global economy and how it
functions appears to be EXTREMELY ill informed.  Instead of explaining basic
macro-economics to you, I will simply let it rest.

A large percentage of that "work" that often results in revenue/income has
been outsourced.

I know what you're thinking.  You're thinking that outsourcing hasn't hurt
our economy one bit, that it has enhanced it, that unemployment has not gone
up - it's gone down.  Well, Arnold, in a way you are correct.  Instead of a
family living off of one engineer's income at about $75K - $100K, that same
famly is surviving with two incomes for a combined income of $15/hour, at
least until their local McDonald's closes down.

And, please, feel free to mangle my name to your heart's content.  If it
floats your boat, do it.

When I first joined the service in 1969, I was duly informed that my parents
had been sadly mistaken about my name for the 18 years previous.  A cadre of
drill sergeants reminded me on a daily basis that my real name is/was
"S**thead" (among other colorful monikers).  After training, I lost the
"S**thead" name and simply became "Hansen" to those of equal or senior rank.
  Subordinates addressed me as "Sergeant Hansen".

So, if it flips your Bic to call me "Hansin", please . . . by all means.
Tell you what, just for memory's sake, call me "S**thead" once in a while,
ok?  That way I can take pride in that proverbial wall that separates us.

Take care, Ahnold.

S**thead Hansin