[Vision2020] Flag Display Was Disturbing

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 22 23:45:45 PST 2005

    I do not like the Confederate flag. I do not like it because  it was adopted by hate groups like the Klu Klux Klan. Bigots have taken that  flag, embraced it, and called it their own, and in doing so soiled it and damaged it beyond repair.

  To millions of Americans, when they see that flag, they think the supporters of  it, and the bearers of it are necessarily bigots, racists, and KKK supporters.  This is not the case most the time. Most the time, they are people that are  proud of their southern culture and heritage.

  People from the southern United    States have many things to be proud, mostly  of course their food, music, and hospitality. However, slavery, Jim Crow laws,  and the KKK are not among those things to be boastful. For individuals to think  that Southern Culture is only about suppression of others are bigoted  themselves, for they are wrong. Let us also not forget that the US flag has  also sponsored slavery, slaughter of Native Indians,  suppression of  women, gays and lesbians, Asians, and Latin Americans, not to mention all of  our wars and military aggression against other nations and peoples for the last  two hundred years. The Christian cross has also been the symbol used for the  slaughter of millions of innocents over thousands of years. Yet, we do not call  foul when someone displays a cross or American flag. And in embracing them we  do not say that we support the bad things of American and Christian history, we  are saying we only support the good things about t!
 hem.

  Like all symbols, the Confederate flag means different things to different  people. I personally think that when you tell someone that opposes  discrimination that hangs the Confederate flag to take it down, you are telling  them that their culture and heritage means nothing and they should be ashamed  of who they are. But on the other hand, when someone puts it up, it implies to  many people that the person supports bigotry and racism and that is offensive  to others, particularly Black Americans. To say one is wrong for feeling the  way they do about a flag or symbol will get people nowhere quickly. Everyone  has the right to feel how they want to.

  My thinking is that both sides need to try and see the other side of the issue.  It might also be wise for those that wish to show their Southern Pride without  offending others should find a flag or symbol that represents southern history  that has not been adopted and corrupted by hate groups. I think it does them a  great injustice to associate themselves in anyway with a hate group, be it a  flag, symbol or motto.

  Take Care,

  Donovan J Arnold

Ellen Roskovich <gussie443 at hotmail.com> wrote:    Did someone say it was illegal?
  Some people find the confederate flag offensive  and in bad taste.  It is viewed as a symbol that represents ideas  that have about as much place in Moscow as does a swastika.
  Ellen Roskovich