[Vision2020] Look for the Union Label (was "Wal-Mart cause and effect")

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 21 20:55:44 PST 2005

On 21 Nov 2005, at 07:21, keely emerinemix wrote:

> Umm, Jeff, you seem to have missed the point, and then another, in
> your post:
>
> 1.   The importance of the film's message is not subject to
> mass-market acceptance.  In other words, whether or not the film is a
> blockbuster doesn't matter.  I would hardly expect a documentary about
> the world's largest retailer to command the audience of the new Harry
> Potter movie, but I don't discount the worth of the former because it
> doesn't compete with the latter.  Unfortunately, the pain and
> suffering portrayed in the movies didn't involve special effects, car
> chases, wizardry and Angelina Jolie -- but I'm glad to be one of the
> folks who was able to sit through it nonetheless.
>
> 2.  The quotes you post on how much the movie sucks include defiant
> assertions that Wal-Mart is great because you can get pretty much
> everything you need in one place for less money.  If I, or you, or the
> spoiled American consumer were the point, that would indeed be
> germane.  But we're not, and it isn't.  The film expresses in a
> hard-hitting, heart-wrenching way the devastation wreaked upon people
> and communities because of the cherished belief that our convenience
> -- MY convenience -- is the only thing that matters.  Quotes from
> people who stubbornly cling to the belief that they are the measure of
> all things only prove the film's point.
>
> I know that you and I view Wal-Mart differently, but I think your
> arguments are better made without references to links that illustrate
> points you probably would do better to avoid.
>
> keely emerine mix

Dear Visionaries:

Here's a statistic for you -- if every American bought (or was given as
a birthday, Christmas, Chanukah or Kwanza present) just one
USA/union-made garment per year, we'd inject an estimated $9 billion
into our economy.  Amazing.  We could save or even create some American
jobs; help offset our unsustainable foreign trade deficit; and perhaps
re-learn the lyrics to that great "Look for the union label" song.
Anyone out there old enough to remember that one?

Look for the union label
When you are buying
A coat, dress or blouse . . .
(Something, something, something)
The union label . . .
It means we're able
To make it in the USA!

In the spirit of putting my money where my mouth is, I went to Spence
Hardware today and bought a Carhartt insulated vest.  It was made right
here in the US of A, and it proudly sports the UFCW Union Labor label.
What did it cost me?  $44.95.  It was a few dollars more than the
Chinese-made Dickie work vest, but my relative experiences with
Carhartt and Dickie made the choice an easy one.  About a decade ago, I
bought a pair of Carhartt work overalls for the whopping sum of $68.50.
  It pained me to spend the money at the time, but I still have the
overalls.  I wear them all the time, and there's not a rip or tear or
faulty seam on them.  I've had exactly one pair of cheap Dickie
overalls; they didn't make past the first repair trip underneath my '76
Suburban without ripping the pocket off the ass.  I think they cost
$20.  So, that's $20 for, say, ten pre-ass rip wearings versus $6.80
per year for the high-quality, union-made Carhartt's.

Of course, this is all anecdotal.  Perhaps there's some foreign
sweatshop out there that makes wonderful, rip-proof clothing.  I still
wouldn't want to shop there.  Why?  For all the reasons Keely names.
Thanks to my Carhartt's, my conscience is clear, and my ass is covered.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com

PS: It can, of course, be hard to find USA/union-made clothing.  (You
won't find *any* at Wal-Mart.)  As I have suggested before, try looking
at Goodwill.  Try Spence or Tri-State.  Read the labels.  Try the
Internet.  You can go to http://www.unionjeancompany.com and shop for
denim products online.  As far as American-made boots or shoes are
concerned, I've found that the Chippewa company still makes much of its
footwear in the US.  You'll have to check the label, however.  I've got
one pair of workboots made here, and another pair made in China.  Guess
which ones leak?

PPS: Yes, I am on a tear about Chinese-made goods.  Some might consider
this evidence that I am xenophobic.  I'm not.  I am concerned that
China has an appalling record of human rights abuses, that too many of
its factories use slave, prison, and child labor, and that China floods
the world market with cheap, shoddy, sweatshop-made goods, some of
which have been re-labeled so that buyers think they come from
worker-friendly states.  Dishonest practices, all.  Caveat emptor:
buyer beware.  Know who made the clothes on your back, and make an
informed decision.  Is that too much to ask?

PPPS: Saundra is right.  From this day forward, I'm swearing off
Wal-Mart -- a decision made easier by my purchase last Friday of enough
Costco "Big A Family" toilet paper to decorate a Macy's Thanksgiving
Day float.