[Vision2020] Who does Wally World threaten and what do they sell?

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 21 09:58:00 PST 2005

To all

Who does Wally World threaten and what do they sell?

I have been reading this debate with some interest, because of who holds
which side in it and what each group has to say.

First, I will note that everybody ought to have figured that Walmart was
coming here as well as Pullman.  Two years ago they ran a major survey
calling most households in Moscow.  Specifically the survey was asking where
you purchased your groceries and asking if you would buy from a new store
including a Super Store.  They asked many Wally World questions and anybody
with a lick of sense had to realize that the survey was commissioned by
Walmart..  A quick ask to Walmart employees any time over the last two years
abut having to work in Pullman would have given you similar answers, they
were not going to have to leave Moscow, but needed an expanded location.

My response to the Wally World survey was simple, I shop at Winco, why would
I pick up my groceries at a hardware store?  Like most people, I do not shop
multiple stores to get my groceries, I get them at one location, which ever
has the cheapest general prices.  Employee owned and operated Winco has
those in spades, so I go there.  For some, the specialty selection of the
Co-Op is more important than price and I doubt that they will head to
Walmart to get groceries either.

So the two Giant grocery chains, it’s hard to imagine being POed at one
giant corporation because they might dump the profits of $10.5 Billion
dollar market cap Safeway Inc and Rosauers (Owned by URM Inc of Spokane),
are going to be harmed.  Does anybody here think that a California Tomato at
any of the three big chains is going to be different because of the location
where its sold?

So who in the downtown is going to be hurt by Wally World?

Wild Women Traders?  Gem State?  Book People?  Tie Dye Everything?

Local hardware for the farm and ranch community is not something that Wally
World even sells.

Who actually gets hurt by a chain store who sells lots of cheap overseas
produced junk?  Smaller stores who sell cheap overseas junk is who.   I
don’t think that there are any of those types of stores in downtown.

The truth is that Wally World will be replacing existing out of area chains
that pay their employees just as few dollars as Walmart does.  It will
neither help nor hurt local employment, just shift it around.

Debating Wally World side tracks us from the real problem, the need to
create living wage jobs here in Moscow.  No retail jobs are going to make
new wealth here, not even specialty shops in Downtown.  Only adding value to
local materials creates new wealth that allows us to see higher wages.

Why do people buy cheap plastic junk?  Because it’s what they can afford.
Get higher wage jobs here and people will shop for higher quality goods.
And jumping the minimum wages does not create that sort of buying power, you
need to get jobs in that have purchasing power and $7-10 an hour jobs are
not going to cut it.

Skilled jobs and craftsman’s jobs, organic farmers, ceramics workers,
engineers in materials design, things that pay $15-25 an hour give you
shoppers who buy quality and increase the revenues of downtown shops.  Start
thinking about what we can do and make to create that instead of worrying if
Safeway or if Wally World is going to beat each other up for the poor man’s
paycheck.  Because if you make their customer base rich in the area, they
will fold their tents and leave.

Phil Nisbet