[Vision2020] Welcome Michael Metzler

Nicholas Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Sat Nov 19 02:26:47 PST 2005

Greetings:

What a surprise to see Michael Metzler's postings.  It must be at least
15 years since we have debated philosophical and theological issues.
The last time we corresponded, it was about whether a deity who
commanded genocide could be called good.  I argued  that such a being
would be a moral monster, but I believe Michael defended the
Hebrew deity on this point.  Is that still your position, Michael?

I want to congratulate Keeley on her answer to Michael's challenge, her
superb description of a Christian view of homosexuality.  (Your powers
of expression are amazing.)  I also want to commend Melynda on her fine
posting on Wilson & Co. making the Trinity as an idol.  They use it as
magic wand that makes anything they say good and beautiful.

But I'm really disappointed in Michael's feeble attempt to locate the
Trinity in the Old Testament.  His reference to "angels of the Lord"
does
not support a triune deity of equal persons.  First of all, the Angel
of the
Lord (malak Yahweh) is usually singular, clearly subordinate, and he
leads the heavenly hosts (read armies) into battle. Second, angels are
created beings and the three who appear to Abraham in Gen. 18
mysteriously become become two when they arrive in Sodom.  Absolutely
no triune deity of equal persons here.

The plural "let us make" in Gen. 1:26 has long been taken as a
grammatical plural
of majesty--Michael admits as much--and Bible scholars will not allow
Michael contradict himself by inferring a Trinity here.  I would guess
that there is not much good scholarship at the link Michael offers.

There is indeed plurality in the Hebrew Godhead and I have written at
some length on this at www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/henotheism.htm and at
www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/trinity.htm.

I wonder if Michael agrees with Jones and Wilson on their Trinitarian
formulations. In the essay (trinity.htm) I tried in vain to get Jones
to defend his view against tritheism, but he avoided the issue entirely.

Glad to have you as part of the vision, and as you have already seen,
most of us are civil and cordial, so hang in there.

Nick Gier