[Vision2020] Acceptable business

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Fri Nov 18 14:11:33 PST 2005

As a recent appointee to the LEDC, I am intrigued by Phil's comments and am particularly interested in different ideas that may develop the arts community to a greater degree.  Wayne suggests that there are some kinds of growth that are more suitable to this area, and I think that growth of the art community is one of them.  Cultural tourism is something that we ought to be working to increase.

Art as an engine of economic development is an area of development that would seem to fit well on the Palouse.  It is also an area that I see as a good match with our talented, art-friendly population and my desire to encourage growth that positively affects our quality of life while making this community a draw for both tourists and new, community friendly, "good fit" businesses.  Having a strong art community is one way to make the community more desirable.  That also would give us an advantage in recruiting environmentally friendly, "good fit" businesses that value our quality of life and pay theri employees well.

Making ourselves into a more supportive arts community on the production side as well as the consumption side is something that seems worth pursuing, too.  While I do not believe that encouraging heavy manufacturing "smokestack" industries or heavy water users is appropriate or desirable, I offer the bronze foundries of Joseph, Oregon as a small scale, high quality, production side of the art industry that is well worth encouraging.

Bruce Livingston