[Vision2020] Acceptable business

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Fri Nov 18 14:02:30 PST 2005

Chris,

You say:

Wayne, why don't you throw some economic development ideas into the hopper and make a positive contribution to community development instead of attacking Phil and others?

You haven't read this thread from the beginning.  From an earlier post.

Kai challenges me to:

"...identify some types of businesses or industries that would fit in with your 'clean' ideal.

OK, I'll play along for a few words...  Here's a few examples:

1. - i.  The editorial, sales, and administrative offices of regional, national, or international magazines which are also published online.

i + 1 - j.    Niche software development companies such as game software, specialty financial software, religious institution/ church administration software, ...

j + 1 - k.   Various kinds of etailers, such as for specialty clothing, specialty foods, art/photography, ...

Do you want to generate a much larger, more viable list, and then do something with it?

1.    Change the makeup of the LEDC so that Latah County in its entirety is represented.

2.    Recruit for the LEDC board and membership qualified, open minded, committed, energetic individuals who want to help the community more than they want to help themselves and/or to prop up/assuage their egos and resumes, and who are willing to invest more than a very few hours a month.  Remove from the board narrow minded, selfish, ineffective, sluggish, egotistical persons and those who are a drag on the impetus of the board by their nay-saying or unwillingness to consider anything which will not enrich themselves or that lies outside Moscow city limits.

3.    Using the techniques of brain storming which can be found at
http://www.businessballs.com/brainstorming.htm and other websites, generate a long list similar to the one above.  {I have facilitated this kind of activity many times in my professional career and would volunteer to do it pro bono for the LEDC provided that some progress on 1. and 2. above is made.}

4.    Research and decide what kinds of companies on the list are the most desirable and most likely to locate/relocate here.

5.    Design and Aggressively implement a plan to attempt to recruit/help establish businesses from the list including plans for helping with capital and site acquisition, and dealing with planning and zoning processes.

6.      Very aggressively develop and pursue relationships with area universities in order to encourage the development of businesses/industries rooted in the research and other activities occurring at those universities.

7.    Monitor and alter the plan as needed.

Latah County has a great deal to offer many businesses and potential businesses:  Universities and all the assets they bring, a labor pool of people with a relatively strong work ethic, a very nice environment, a relatively low crime rate, decent schools, relative safety from natural disasters (such as earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados), decent transportation links, outstanding recreational opportunities, etc, etc

In my opinion, it is time to try new ways of finding desirable potential investors in our economic infrastructure and new ways of selling what we have to them.

Without doubt there will be a few who will take issue with 2. above.  I am only repeating what other more knowledgeable people including some on the LEDC board have been saying for years but in relative private.  Since I am much more blunt than they are and have nothing to lose, I am saying it for everyone to hear.

W.