[Vision2020] Saint Brigid, beer and cats

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Sat Nov 12 10:34:48 PST 2005

Ralph,

I'm not sure what your point is.  Perhaps you could clarify.  The comment
about Gideons bible was just a joke; I really didn't think you guys were all
that interested in being resident bible scholars.  If the charge of lacking
knowledge about the bible is insulting to you, then I'll change my approach.
Anyhow, you referenced Paul's writing in 1 Cor. in view of the second coming
and asserted that the early Christians had no time to think of beer (hence,
drinking alcohol generally); you also said that they did not have time to
think about sex.  I corrected you by pointing out that these to claims are
false. We know that the church in Corinth was given to much illicit sex and
drunkenness, and we know this based on this very letter of Paul to them. In
response to my pointing this out, you now claim that I have misrepresented
Paul and I have deliberately taken your remark out of context.

Yours,

Michael Metzler

Ralph's last post:

Ralph Writes:

... early Christians that they had no time to think of either beer or cats
They didn't even have time to think about sex (1 Corinthians 7:29-31).

Me: [Michael]

Paul rebuked this church for sleeping with mom and getting drunk at church
(among some other things). Sheesh guys; at least pick up the book in the
drawer by your hotel bed before posting to Vision 2020 for now on.

I like Paul and I don't like cats. (just trying to give you guys another
topic for conversation).

Michael Metzler

Ralph:

Michael has not addressed the issue at all. Instead, he thinks he can run
away from it by totally misrepresenting what Paul said, deliberately taking
my remark out of context, and trying to change the topic. So here is what I
actually said:

"As to why neither appears in the New Testament, I suspect that the
expectation of the imminent Second Coming of Christ was so fully in the
minds of many of the early Christians that they had no time to think of
either beer or cats They didn't even have time to think about sex (1
Corinthians 7:29-31)."

Michael, I don't depend on Gideon Bibles in hotels for my information. I
have plenty at home, and in at least half a dozen different languages. Go
read your Bible again, Michael.