[Vision2020] RE: HTML Formatting and the Blind

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Fri Nov 11 17:09:03 PST 2005

Donovan,

Thank you for spectacularly illustrating the points I made the post below:

This earlier post from Nils Peterson covers the subject nicely.

There are several local resources for help understanding and learning to use
tools that make computers generally, and web and email in particular,
accessible to blind and visually impaired individuals. Each campus has a
disability resource center, and downtown Moscow is the non-profit
organization Disability Action Center. Any of these contact points can
either answer your questions or direct you to resources who can.

Here is one link which, if you wish you be helpful to blind friend:

http://www.qwertystudios.com/sn/product.html

Note the message:

 Hello! I'm Speaking Notepad! I am useful and handy analog of Microsoft Notepad. But as you can see, I can speak! I'll read your TXT, DOC, HTML and RTF documents, readme's, notes, e-mails and clever and interesting thoughts aloud! With my help you'll solve a lot of your problems at home or in the office. Just imagine, how it's easier to listen to texts rather than read them. Give a rest to your eyes. I can also read texts with different voices, speeds and pitches, read clipboard content, read text into WAV or MP3 sound file and even read every word your are typing. That means that while typing some text you may even not look at screen at all and control your typing orally. I'm designed for people who knows the value of fast and comfortable work and entertainment. I'm sure, we'll become friends.

The price for this software is $14.95.

Here is another link:

http://www.audioutilities.com/text-to-voice/text-to-speech.htm

Note the message:

 Read Text in any application, including Emails, web pages, news articles, PDF, Word or Excel Documents, etc.

The price for this software is $24.95.

I do not pretend to be an expert but here is a link from an organization who is:

http://www.macular.org/lowvis/readers.html

They recommend:

Connect Outloud  http://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_products/software_connect.asp
Read Please  http://www.readplease.com/

Instead of exhibiting yourself further, please help your blind friend by referring him to the resources Nils Peterson gives and the ones listed above.  If your blind friend still cannot find a text to voice program that reads HTML email satisfactorily, give him my email address and I'll be glad to try to help him.

However, if you or he expect any complex program to work perfectly, a reality check is recommended.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com