[Vision2020] Saint Brigid, beer and cats

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 12:53:17 PST 2005

On 11/11/05, Ralph Nielsen <nielsen at uidaho.edu> wrote:

> I don't know if there really is beer in a mythical place like heaven but there is definitely no beer in the Bible. Neither are there cats in the Bible, except in one of the apocryphal (deuterocanonical) books. (N.B., Carl).

>  have my personal conjecture as to why this is so. Can anyone guess what it is?

Is your conjecture pertaining to beer, or cats?

As for cats, I know that cats were feared by some cultures.  Heck,
cats are still feared in some cultures.  I knew an old Korean woman
who explained to me that cats hated humans because we omitted them
from the the Chinese Zodiac:  rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake,
horse, sheep, monkey, rooster, dog, and pig -- no cat.

I was also told a story about a cat who wanted to become a human, and
convinced a wizard to help her do this.  He gave her a potion to
transform herself into a human, but with the condition that she that
had to marry a man and stay married to him for a year without him once
spying her in cat form.  However, once a month she needed to revert to
her cat form in order feed, and it was (of course) on one of these
occasions that her husband came home early and discovered her
devouring a rat.  The magic was ruined, and she was trapped in her cat
form forevermore.  This caused the enmity between cat and human which
continues to this day (at least in Korean culture, apparently).

Does this match your conjecture?