[Vision2020] Homosexuality

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Tue Nov 8 20:24:38 PST 2005

I'm very sorry that Joe Campbell has concluded our discussion the way he
has.  I was not the one who initiated the discussion, and I continued
discussing it based on the continued interest of others. I also thought that
Joe and I were able to keep it on a professional level, which is what I am
used to as an analytic philosopher.

As a bit of biographical information on myself: I almost never think about
homosexuality and I don't think I've ever gotten into a discussion or debate
about it before this particular exchange; and I really don't have much
interest in it from here.  Most of my views and experience with the issue
stems more from standard American evangelicalism on the East Coast and not
Doug Wilson or any ministries of Christ Church.

I found it simply a good starting point for getting into basic issues of
morality and a bit on sexuality in general, since this was a topic that
seemed to interest others.  I thought we were having a rational
discussion/debate on basic contemporary issues regarding moral theory and
sexuality, and I have repeatedly made it clear that I do not compare
bestiality and homosexuality in the way Joe now claims. I have also
criticized Christians for the way they have handled the issue of
homosexuality. Just today I posted the following to Doug Wilson's blog; this
was one among many points in which I was criticizing Wilson's view on a
matter.  I wrote:

"Take homosexuality for example. The media has done a great job at spinning
the fundamentalist's approach to this issue, and some of it is probably
correct. Wilson himself has spoken strongly about evangelicals' approach to
homosexuality and homosexual marriage. We have our bibles up-sided down and
don't have a clue how and why homosexuality is wrong or what the Lord is
doing about it; we are just aesthetically disgusted and so we throw our
political weight around or entertain theonomic thoughts of killing them all
in the name of our timeless Mosaic civil Law (oh yes we do). (I would
recommend a browsing of the Homosexuality thread on Vision2020). Should we
not suspect that McLaren has some of this in mind? Is McLaren hoping to
start ordaining Lesbian pastors or is he just aberrantly tired of the same
old slop?"

So is Joe correct in his assessment of me?  I have maintained a consistent
pattern of respect for those with non-heterosexual orientation, while also
maintaining the very simple and traditional point of view that it is morally
wrong, as is my gruff treatment of my wife, and as is adultery.  I sincerely
thought Joe was interested in continuing a progressive and helpful
discussion/debate on the many issues that have been raised, most of which
are traditional issues discussed in philosophy.  I did not think I would be
surprised by any turns my discussions on Vision 2020 would take, including
Wayne Fox's charge that I was a liar.  But I must say, this is a bit
unsettling and surprising.  I don't mean this to be any sort of criticism
for Joe; I don't know what else is going on in his head and why he feels the
way he does; however, I felt it important to defend myself, and I ask
concerned readers to review the posts on this subject between us.

Thank You,

Michael Metzler