[Vision2020] Wilkins

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Fri Nov 4 15:22:22 PST 2005

Rose,

You wrote:

Mr. Metzler's enthusiasm for Steve Wilkins contribution to the field of
history is lamentable.

Me:

I think you missed the point of my statement.  I did not express enthusiasm
for Steve Wilkin's contribution to history.  In fact, I was just noting how
long ago I had been in contact with Steve; the growth of fondness was a
reference to some folks in Portland.

As for your quotes, I'd say the first seems contradictory to other things
I've heard Steve say about Indians.  At this point, I'm very leery of folks
taking statements out of context.  Often Steve will make huge qualifications
and then get into historical generalization.  As for the second paragraph,
as a generalization, and as for some Indians, this seems like a generally
true statement.  But I'm not that interested in arguing about what we did to
the Indians at the moment.I'm sure we were really stupid.

Thanks,

Michael Metzler