[Vision2020] Homosexuality

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 4 18:32:33 PST 2005

Michael writes:

"Hmmmm.  Well, I don’t think we really talk about sex as much as you
imply here.  However, let’s assume for the sake of argument that we do
in fact talk about it a lot, perhaps even more than the other parts of
the Wasp Leg.  This seems potentially appropriate for two reasons.
First, sex is truly amazing; it is a large part of reality. It makes up
more of our thinking and willing than I think we are sometimes willing
to admit (I speak for us men anyways).  It is a foundational part of
society; without sex, it is hard to know what the world would really be
like.  Likewise, it is a fundamental area in Christian Theology.  Sex
is holy and reveals the nature of the Trinity and the nature of
redemption itself.  The experience of, images of, metaphors of sex are
ways of getting deeper in Ultimate Reality.  The pleasure and ritual of
sex are somehow an ultimate expression of love and affection."

The first hurdle: I don't believe in the Trinity.  As I mentioned, I'm
a practicing Jew.  I believe in one God in one piece, not a
three-in-one, triune god.  I agree that sex can be amazing (and also,
alas, amazingly dull), but it does not, for me, reveal the Trinitarian
nature of the divine.  I also don't agree that the "pleasure and ritual
of sex" are an "ultimate expression of love and affection."  I'm not
willing to accord my G-spot that much significance.  Sex is sex, and
theology is theology; or, as Freud put it, sometimes a cigar is just a
cigar.

Michael continues:

"Secondly, because sex is so potent and all around us, this is where we
need so much protection.  Paul tells singles to get married and start
having sex in order to protect themselves.  He tells marriage people to
continue pleasing one another sexually so that they will be protected.
Suppression of the right kind of sex doesn’t eradicate sex, it just
provides means for the wrong kind of sex. So I think Christians talk a
lot about both the beauty and danger of sex; warnings and
accountability are very important.  As Solomon told his son: “For the
lips of an adulteress drip honey and smoother than oil is her speech.
But in the end she is bitter as wormwood.” In fact the entire book of
Proverbs can be seen as a father using the potency of sex as a way of
contrasting foolishness from wisdom.  Wisdom is to be grabbed on the
smooth bottom while you can get it; foolishness is a prostitute to
fear."

That is not exactly what Paul tells singles.  He tells them that it is
better to marry than to burn, meaning that it's best to be celibate as
he is and Jesus was.  Paul and Solomon are not in accord, and I would
not quote them in the same context.  Solomon, like David before him,
was an enthusiastically sexual man.  Solomon was a true ladies man; the
James Bond of the ancient Hebrew world.  Paul, in stark contrast, takes
a very grudging approach to sex -- do it if you must, you weak things,
but if you have the willpower, you really should eschew the physical
and spend your energies instead on contemplation of kingdom come.

I wrote:

Just to stick with the stories of the Bible, what were the ill effects
of homosexuality in comparison to those of wrath or avarice, pride or
envy?  What led to the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah?  The better
Biblical translators would argue that it was inhospitality.  And what
was the first sin, the sin that led to the fall?  Eating the fruit of
the tree of knowledge.  Adam eating the fruit Eve offered.  After
that?  Cain killing Abel.  When does homosexuality -- or, to be more
acurate, acts of homosexual behavior -- come into the story of the
fall?  When are they first condemned in the Bible?  Leviticus, I
believe, and then only in the context of a wide-ranging list of kosher
"thou shalt nots."

And Michael responded:

"There are thousands of ways to sin; bestiality is not listed in
Genesis either, but that does not mean it wouldn’t have been wrong or a
perversion of the goodness of creation.  Likewise, the Lord’s design,
as Jesus points out, was one man and one woman.  This is pretty clear
in the Genesis creation account.  Like I’ve already noted however, the
nature of redemptive history does not mean we will find ‘condemnation’
as some unchanging code from the fall to the recreation of all things.
Also, if a certain behavior was assumed wrong or was not prevalent,
then we may not expect to find it in a list of moral laws.  In the ten
commandments for example, only adultery is listed.  But I think a
natural reading would cause us to understand homosexuality and
fornication as assumed in this command, not neglected by it.
Hospitality?....."

I'm not talking about lists of sin.  Ever listened to Maria McKee and
Lone Justice?  "You know so many ways to be wicked, but you don't know
one little thing about life."  I think you know, Michael, that I'm not
suggesting that if something isn't forbidden in Genesis, it isn't
therefore a sin.  My mother never told me that sex with a donkey was
wrong; somehow, I just knew.  And, yes, the sin of Sodom and Gomorrah
was inhospitality to strangers; it was not anal sex.  This is not
controversial stuff among Biblical translators and scholars.  If you
think I'm pulling this rabbit from a hat, then I fear you don't fully
understand the importance of hospitality in nomadic culture.  I'm not
talking about offering tea and cakes to your friends, or lifting your
pinky while sipping from a china cup.  I meant that those you shelter
in your home become part of your family.  You are responsible for their
safety and well-being.  The residents of Sodom and Gomorrah violated
the first principle of hospitality; they asked Lot to send the
strangers out to them so that they might "know" them.  We can argue
about the translation of know in this context, if you like, but Lot's
response was certainly clear -- he offered the city his daughters
instead.  (Yuck.)  Later, as you know, Lot himself incestuously abused
those daughters, and the daughters are blamed for this, so as you might
imagine, I don't think much of the God who features in this particular
story.  (The Old Testament is not full of God, in my opinion, but full
of gods.  There is no one, settled notion of God in the Old Testament.
What we witness in those scriptures is a people, the Jews, working out
what kind of God it is they want to worship.)

Now, ten commandments?  Come on.  Try more than six hundred
commandments.  That ten commandments stuff is strictly Cecil B.
DeMille.

Michael again:

"Well said. I really think you would enjoy many of Doug Wilson’s
sermons."

I've listened to several of Doug's sermons -- the ones available
online, anyway.  I didn't enjoy them.  I'd much rather watch old
re-runs of Mystery Science Theater 3000.  That Crow T. Robot -- now
he's funny!

Finally, Michael says:

"Also, I should note that given the new rise in a public and legal
acceptance of homosexuality and homosexual marriage, which would have
been an amazing thought to just about anybody in our western culture 50
years ago, it should not be surprising that this is a ‘hot issue’ right
now.  Certainly, Christians did not give much thought to homosexuality
a 100 years ago."

This is not the case, but I think I'll let my partner, who has a PhD in
Victorian Literature, deal with this.  In the meantime, I'll just admit
here and now that I've read more than my fair share of Victorian porn,
and let me assure you, they had an excellent understanding of
homosexuality.  So, too, did earlier popular writers.  Ever read Moll
Flanders?  Or Fanny Hill?  And medieval literature knew a thing or six
about homosexuality -- the Decameron is little more than a bag of dirty
stories.  Really good dirty stories, but dirty stories nonetheless.  If
you want to go back further, to the Rome of Jesus' or Paul's day,
you'll find that homosexuality was commonplace.  It was marriage
between one man and one woman, marriage for the sake of heterosexual
love, that was unusual.

Might I recommend a little "I, Claudius?"

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com