[Vision2020] Is John Calvin an Intolerista?

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 2 00:56:57 PST 2005

"If there is a god, then this god may be indifferent
to humankind, totally or partially amoral, have a
totally different conception of good/evil, or be
partially or totally evil in the terms of humankind."
Wayne Fox

I do think that God can be evil if the definition of
evil in the believer of God is anything which is the
anti-thesis of God. In other words, God cannot do that
which is against Himself- Anything he does is good,
and not evil, because His actions and deeds are what
define those terms as good and evil. If God kills bad
people, God killing bad people is good. If God makes
the corn grow then God's growing of corn is good. If
God makes the corn die, then God making the corn die
is good. No matter what He does, it is good, and
anything of the opposite of God is evil.

"The question of the existence
> or nonexistence of an object with certain qualities
> whether it be a black hole, a unicorn, or some
> alleged god is a matter of reasoning and verifiable
> evidence, not just fanciful and/or linguistically
> nonsensical speculation."--Wayne Fox

I do not think people can define anything
scientifically in positive terms. You can only define
things as what they are not or in relation to others
things already defined in our minds. Science cannot
tell us if there is a God or not because something can
exist without us being able to measure it. However,
God can tell us individually that he exists. We can
though, measure some of the effects of those that
believe in God and prayer.

-DJA

--- Art Deco <deco at moscow.com> wrote:

> [...]
> some alleged god who allegedly created us and who
> also allegedly tortures us (Example: when a baby
> dies in screaming agony of leukemia or when this
> alleged god allegedly sends the majority of his
> human creations to suffer the extreme misery of
> eternal combustion).  As in the examples given in
> the link above, you are using "good" and "evil" in
> two different ways in your argument.
>

> As a note, the problem of predestination and god's
> foreknowledge is related to the problem of evil, but
> is not isomorphic to it.
>
> Here is a classic statement of the problem of evil:
>
> [A]    If God is omnibenevolent and had the power to
> do so, it would prevent evil from existing.
>
> [B]    If God is omnipotent, it has the power to do
> anything, including the power to prevent evil from
> existing.
>
> [C]    God is omnibenevolent and omnipotent.
>
> Therefore,
>
> [D]    God would prevent evil from existing.
>
> Therefore,
>
> [1]    Evil does not exist.
>

> On the other hand:
>
> [E]    Babies dying of leukemia screaming in agony
> is an evil.
> [F]    Old folks unable to control their bowels is
> an evil.
> [G]    The extermination by Hitler of about
> 6,000,000 Jews is an evil.
> [H]    Repeatedly raping then murdering a young
> child is an evil.
>
> Therefore,
>
> [2]    Evil exists.
>

> Note that [1] and [2] are contradictory, hence one
> or the other is false.
>
> In my opinion, given the ordinary usage of the word
> "evil", only someone quite delusional would deny [E]
> - [H], their basis in fact, and therefore [2].
>
> Hence, [1] [Evil does not exist] is false.
>
> Therefore, since [A] and [B] are merely and clearly
> definitions, then [C] God is omnibenevolent and
> omnipotent is also false.
>

> Notice again please, this is not an argument for the
> nonexistence of all alleged gods.  It is only a
> demonstration that a alleged omnibenevolent,
> omnipotent god cannot exist (just as a person with
> exactly 1 arm and exactly five arms cannot exist).
> For example, the god of the Zoroastrians is not
> claimed to be omnipotent.  Unlike the definition of
> most Christian sects' god,the problem of evil does
> not disprove (nor give any probability for) the
> Zoroastrian's god's existence.
>

> Also please note that if it is alleged that some god
> is omnipotent, then that god has the power to
> deceive or to prevent any knowledge of itself.  That
> means, that those who allege an omnipotent (or even
> a vastly powerful god) are prevented from certain or
> even probable knowledge thereof, since there is no
> way of knowing whether they are being deceived or
> are in error.  [Although ignorance, hubris,
> egomania, and/or megalomania do not prevent some
> from asserting their superiority to their alleged
> omnipotent god by claiming certain or probable

=== message truncated ===>