[Vision2020] Is John Calvin an Intolerista?

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Wed Nov 2 14:39:57 PST 2005

This note will not display correctly in plain text.  HTML should be used.

Donovan,

You write:

"I do think that God can be evil if the definition of evil in the believer of God is anything which is the anti-thesis of God. In other words, God cannot do that which is against Himself- Anything he does is good, and not evil, because His actions and deeds are what define those terms as good and evil. If God kills bad people, God killing bad people is good. If God makes the corn grow then God's growing of corn is good. If God makes the corn die, then God making the corn die is good. No matter what He does, it is good, and anything of the opposite of God is evil."

Defining an object in a certain way does not miraculously bring that object into existence.  Just because one defines a unicorn as a horse with one spiral conic horn protruding from its forehead, does not mean a unicorn exists nor does it bring a unicorn into existence.

Likewise, defining an alleged god as the opposite of evil or defining an alleged god as omnipotent and omnibenevolent does not mean such an object exists nor does defining such an object bring it into existence.

Your argument is reminiscent of the Ontological argument for the Existence of God:

[1]     God is a perfect being.

[2]     A perfect being has all qualities.

[3]     Existence is a quality.

Therefore, God exists.

There are several problems with this argument.  However, Kant basically refuted this argument long ago.  He pointed out that existence is not a quality.  We use the words "X exists" only when X has qualities.  To say that something exists but without any qualities what-so-ever appears to be the height of linguistic nonsense.

If X has no qualities (but is pure existence), hence is unobservable in any way what-so-ever, how could one determine if statements about X are true or false?

For a much clearer, more detailed explanation of this problem see the discussion of the Ontological Argument in the Kant chapters in History of Western Philosophy by W. T. Jones.

Further, you have ignored the problem discussed by Plato and recently discussed on this forum:

Is X good merely because god says so or does god say so because X is (intrinsically) good?

W. T. Jones also discusses this problem in his chapters on Plato.

You further write:

I do not think people can define anything scientifically in positive terms. You can only define things as what they are not or in relation to others things already defined in our minds. Science cannot tell us if there is a God or not because something can exist without us being able to measure it.

I do not pretend to understand this first part of your paragraph, hence I cannot rationally comment upon it.  It seems to be a prime candidate to be regarded in the same class as:

"Corrugated square roots transcend justice."

As to this statement:

"However, God can tell us individually that he exists."

Rather than state the snidely obvious, I urge you to read Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer.  You will be quickly disabused from claiming that hearing an alleged god talk to you (or giving you "signs") is a rational method for affirming its existence.  This book is available at Book People or it can be ordered there.  Whatever your religious beliefs, it is a consuming read.

Finally,

We can though, measure some of the effects of those that believe in God and prayer.

There exists a substantial body of evidence to show that some people can benefit in certain areas of their lives by praying to some god or another.  There are some fascinating studies of the benefits of chanting by certain kinds of Buddhists, some of whom are atheists in the eyes of many Christians since they believe in an undifferentiated force rather than an anthropomorphic god.

Such evidence is not a proof of any alleged god's existence, however.

Such phenomena are part of a larger body of evidence on the benefits of positive attitudes, the belief/confidence in your own abilities, in certain routines and therapies, etc, etc - beliefs not requiring the invocation of a deity or deities in any way.  Extensive early work in this area was done in the early part of the 20th century By Thomas.  The original research area was termed self fulfilling prophecies.  Psychologist/Philosopher William James described it as "Faith in a fact can sometimes help create that fact."

There is little doubt that certain affirming beliefs, whether religious or secular in nature can be helpful to certain people in certain situations.  However, there are some large caveats to this approach.  Not all problems are amendable to help from this approach.  If a grizzly bear has chewed your leg off, it is quite improbable that prayer or any other kind of affirming, positive belief will help a new leg grow.  Using these methods may sometimes prevent finding and using other approaches/therapies that would be far more effective.  Further, like all medicines and therapies, the effects on different people of this approach will vary quite widely and there can be some negative side effects with some people.

But, the main point again is that beneficial results from prayer, chanting, transcendental meditation, or from any secular positive affirming belief strategy is not evidence of any alleged god but is evidence of an ordinary human phenomena that can be studied empirically and the results applied.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com