[Vision2020] Kai's comments and questions

Michael Curley curley at turbonet.com
Mon May 23 14:01:03 PDT 2005

Kai:
You have raised once again the "motive" issue regarding the complaint
against NSA.  The complainants have assiduously avoided that
discussion because (a) it is irrelevant to the legal issue, and (b)
it would not be a one-sided discussion and would circle back around
ultimately to not being relevant to the legal issue.  And, since many
people have weighed in on the issue, there may be many "motives,"
many of which might actually be inconsistent or in conflict with one
another.

It seems to me that your post lumps motive and the legal issue
together.  I would like to invite you to separate them for a moment
and see where that gets us.

Assume, for the sake of argument only, that you are right that SOME
people at least want to attack Doug Wilson and his related
enterprises as part of an ideological battle.  I suggest that someone
who approaches the issue knowing nothing about the parties involved
might STILL find that NSA should NOT be downtown.  Why?  Well, for
the very reasons that the City Council did, in fact, do exactly what
you say is against common sense--they made a very clear distinction
between three types of schools--K-12, college/university, and
commercial/trade schools, and excluded the first two from downtown.

Why did Council specify that commercial schools were permitted
downtown and NOT grade schools, jr. high schools, high schools,
colleges, or universities?  Well it could be because the "principal
purpose of [Downtown] is to provide a location for compatible
commercial uses. . . for example enterprises dispensing retail
commodities, and those providing professional and personal services
to the INDIVIDUAL." (from the "intent" section of the downtown zone;
emphasis mine ).

Downtown is identified in the comprehensive plan as "one of the
city's major shopping areas, provide a pleasonat environment for
shopping and working, provide an opportunity for socializing, and act
as a focal point for the community."

Colleges and universities tend to grow.  They tend to need more and
more space as they grow.  Colleges and universities are not
commercial enterprises, they do not provide professional and personal
services to the general public (as we would usually interpret that
term), they tend to eat up available parking, and they break up the
pedestrian mall" concept detailed in the Comprehensive Plan for
downtown.

While elementary and high schools might not tend to expand as a
college or university might, they still present the same "non-
retail," "non-personal service," parking, pedestrian traffic
problems.

Hence, there is good reason to exclude schools (K through college)
downtown.  We don't know why each individual Council member voted as
s/he did, but the reasons outlined above are certainly consistent
with other measures they passed in the zoning code and the comp plan.

Commercial schools by their very name are commercial.  There is some
"retail" aspect usually associated with them.  That is a significant
distinction upon which Council might have based its decision to allow
them downtown.  Any member of the public--not just a student--can get
a massage;  can have a haircut or styling.

I would agree with you, should you raise the issue, that ALL possible
commercial schools might not be compatible downtown.  That some might
be detrimental to the stated intent for the downtown area.  I think
the Code should be modified.  I think it should allow commercial
schools by conditional use permit so that the city can control the
size and nature of the commercial school--and insure that there IS a
retail aspect.  I do not, however, think that either K-12 or colleges
or universities should be allowed even by conditional use permit--
because I agree that downtown should be preserved for retail and
personal service establishments and no K-college school meets those
needs.

Finally, I respect YOUR right to disagree about what should be
allowed downtown.  You and others might think an elementary school
would be a nice addition, or a college or part of the University of
Idaho.  It is a matter for reasoned, rational, and I sincerely hope,
respectful, public debate.  And that is what is required--two public
hearings--to change the Code or the Comp Plan.  And intentions will
have, should have, nothing to do with the discussion.

Let's move our thinking off downtown for a moment.  Someone filed a
complaint against the Alternative High School being located where it
on Main Street/Hiwy 95.  It seems clear to me it is NOT allowed to be
there as the code is currently written.  So, the ruling should be
made accordingly and if the AHS wants to stay there, the school
district needs to ask for a change to the code--and we will all get
to be part of that debate as well.  Whatever the "motives" of the
people who filed the complaint, they are right about the law, and
there is an important PUBLIC INTEREST to protect by following the
law.  And the same applies to NSA, regardless of the motives of its
founders or the motives of the complainants.

Regards,

Mike Curley