[Vision2020] Kai's comments and questions

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Tue May 24 11:34:39 PDT 2005

All,

Mike Curley writes:

Kai:

You have raised once again the "motive" issue regarding the complaint
against NSA.  The complainants have assiduously avoided that discussion
because (a) it is irrelevant to the legal issue, and (b) it would not be a
one-sided discussion and would circle back around ultimately to not being
relevant to the legal issue.

To those with some patience, the following contains descriptions of two
real-world zoning cases illustrating Mike Curley's point.

When I became the P & Z Coordinator in Boundary County in the early 1980s, a
complaint against an illegal subdivision had already been made.

The county was experiencing a lot of illegal land division with consequent
adverse impacts on residents and the county finances.  The case in point was
a particularly egregious violation because of a poor, not-to-code survey,
property border disputes, earth movement problems, and horrid subdivision
road problems including a rickety bridge over Ruby Creek (raise any alarm
bells, anyone?) that connected the subdivision to the county road.

I collected documentary, photographic, and other evidence of the violation.
I met with the two developers and their first attorney.  The developers had
two claims:  [1] the subdivision laws did not apply to them, and [2] they
were being singled out for enforcement because they belonged to a church
which many considered a cult.  Both of the developers were reasonably well
liked county-wide but neither was considered particularly honest.

The zoning laws did apply to them regardless of their political/religious
beliefs.  Until that meeting, I had never heard anything about the
developer's religion, nor did I care as far as P & Z enforcement was
concerned.  At the end of the meeting the developer's attorney agreed that
they were in violation and needed to go through the process to make the
subdivision legal.  The developers then immediately fired that attorney and
subsequently hired another.

The county applied for injunctive relief to stop the sale of land within the
subdivision until its status was legalized.  During the court hearing, both
in testimony and in argument, the developers attempted to show that they
were victims of religious persecution/discrimination.

The court would not allow such issues to be raised.  The injunction was
granted.  With regard to the religious discrimination matter the court said
that the issue in this and similar matters is not the motives of the
complainants, but whether the facts and law support the complaint.

Although the injunction was issued, the matter had a very unsatisfactory
ending.  The developers surreptitiously sold the land in a manner that
cleverly forestalled discovery until they had moved to somewhere into the
deep south beyond practical prosecution.  A few years later a spring ice jam
wiped out the rickety bridge stranding all the subdivision residents.  The
cost to rescue same and rebuild the bridge cost the county about 1/8 of the
entire county road budget for that year.  [For the curious:  Yes.  This was
the subdivision that Randy Weaver and family lived and his unfortunate wife
and baby died in.  They were one of the first purchasers, in part because it
was an illegal subdivision.  During this process and another one, Randy
Weaver threatened to kill me twice.]

After I had been the P & Z coordinator for about a year, X came into my
office and complained that Y was operating a very noisy, custom large
dimensional cut sawmill without the required conditional use permit (CUP).
It was well known that X hated Y and his wife.

A compliant is a complaint and fairness and equal protection of the law
dictate that all must be investigated.  I talked to Y and collected
documentary, photographic, and other evidence of the violation.

The startling facts about the operation included that the fact that the
sounds from the mill could be clearly heard up to 5 miles away when the wind
was right, were sometimes in excess of 130 decibels, and that the mill
frequently operated from about 4:00 AM to 12:00 AM.

Y argued that X was only complaining because X had it in for Y and his wife.
The situation was more complex in other ways.  Y and his wife did a lot of
public service and were very well liked.  Boundary County's timber
production and the associated economy had been in decline for some time;
small, custom mills like the one at issue offered at least some respite.

The facts were clear, however.  The mill was operating in violation of the
zoning ordinance.  A CUP was required.  At first, Y was quite bull-headed.
He built the mill not knowing a permit was needed.  He would not apply for
the permit now.  He said the only reason for the complaint was that X was an
asshole and was just trying to stick it to him.

Then came the curious part:  I wondered why no other neighbors had
complained.  Although only operating now for about to weeks, the mill was
certainly a nuisance.  On the first interview, every neighbor I talked to
said they hated the mill, that the noise, dust, and other things were
seriously disrupting their lives.  However, they really liked good old Y,
did not like X, and therefore did not want to testify or say anything
"official" against Y.

Then after the mill remained operating while the county commissioners and I
tried to lay the groundwork for a workable solution, the noise finally
started to get to some of the neighbors.  A number of neighbors told Y of
their concerns, got no real satisfaction, and finally told me they would
join the complaint of X and begged for dispatch in stopping the noise.

After consulting with P & Z Board and the county commissioners, I told Y
that unless he agreed to immediately seek a CUP and to take mitigating
measures until the process was completed, the county would seek an
injunction to shut the mill down.

Y saw the advantage of what was being offered.  He applied for the permit,
cut the operating hours, and took temporary measures to greatly muffle the
sound.  The final solution was the granting of the CUP which included
conditions that muffled the sound even further and addressed all the
reasonable concerns of the neighbors.  Surprisingly, even X was pleased.

We live in a country allegedly ruled by laws.  It is the validity of a P & Z
complaint not the motive(s) for filing it that generally will determine the
final outcome of the complaint.  P & Z is a complex legal process to which a
complainant or defendant has recourse to the courts to seek a different
outcome if dissatisfied with the legality of local government outcome.  We
live in a country where the Rule of Law allegedly reigns, not the Rule of
Man.

There are two issues that come to the fore with NSA:

[1]   Are they in violation of the Moscow Zoning Ordinance?

[2]   If so, should they be enjoined from operating at their present
location (a) if the zoning code is to be left as is with respect to
educational institutions in the central business zone or they move, or (b)
until the zoning code is modified to make their current violation legal?

Wayne A. Fox
1009 Karen Lane
PO Box 9421
Moscow, ID  83843