[Vision2020] RE: Downtown Zoning Games

Mark Seman FCS at Moscow.com
Fri May 20 15:53:03 PDT 2005

J,
What is it that you are so shocked about?  What are your perceptions and
what are you thinking?

The way things get accomplished and the way to be heard is through
involvement.  I would not rely on any entities to have my own unique
interests in mind.  I know what I have in my own mind and I direct my
actions accordingly.  It is a community's people who best represent the
interest of its citizens.  We don't all agree and so there are processes to
help develop consensus and make decisions.  If those processes are
(perceived as) broke then work towards a fix should follow.  Who does the
work will partly depends on people's perceptions.  If you percieve the
Chamber as needing new board members, work towards it.  If I percieve zoning
as needing a change, I will work towards it.

There is no assurance that any of our actions will be right, easy or quick.
I know from my own efforts to affect change, it is often slow and difficult.
I don't know if what I'm doing is right, but I percieve it to be and that's
why I continue with MY agendae.  I choose to be active and involved on
boards that promote ART, ENVIRONMENT, and DEVELOPMENT.  It is through
combined common interests that individuals and groups can help move policy
and processes forward.

One problem that can occur within a community (may be any scale - local or
global), and Moscow (and Middle East) has been struggling with this, is when
two (or more) factions are so stubborn in their perceptions that they become
a drag on community.  So much effort is wasted (expended) on conflict with
no end in sight.  It takes visionary leaders to help work through problems
rather than continue them.  It also takes all participants of the conflict
to understand that their perceptions are just perceptions and if they WANT,
their perceptions can be altered to allow for reconciliation and movement
for a more encompassing community development.

Until there is a multi-lateral increased willingness for understanding, any
movement towards betterment is going nowhere.  There is room for Moscow to
head either way.  I'd like to see it improve.

Mark

Mark Seman, Architect
Heather Seman, Landscape Architect
1404 East 'F' Street  Moscow, Idaho 83843
v 208-883-3276 / f 208-883-0112