[Vision2020] Alternative School

Ben Merkle bmerkle at nsa.edu
Fri May 20 12:48:02 PDT 2005

The Alternative School is in the Neighborhood Business Zone. The code
does not list any schools for that zone. Not Academic schools, not VoTec
schools, no schools. And, as I recently learned, "no means no."
    Now some of us are starting to hide our little civic diligence
lights under a bushel. Some of us used to positively froth at the mouth
when a code violation was found. We were giddy in those days. And now
everybody is taking their ball and going home. What party poopers. I
feel like Benedick complaining about Claudio. As for Rose, I have known
when she would walk ten mile afoot to lodge a good complaint. But now we
all talk motives and are concerned about abuse of the system. There was
a time when Tom could hardly have been restrained from sending his audio
files to the four corners of the earth, but now he is downright bashful.
There was a day when the law was the law, the zoning codes were the
zoning codes and it was mere coincidence that we only lodged complaints
against a particular group of people.
Ben Merkle