[Vision2020] State Board of Ed

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Thu May 19 22:26:33 PDT 2005

Mr. Rigsby,

You ask,

 “You also did not provide me with sufficient evidence
to make my own decision on whether or not the SBOE
‘approves’ NSA.  Provide me with a link on the SBOE
website that defines ‘approved’ and also a link that
defines ‘accredited.’”

“CHAPTER 24
                             PROPRIETARY SCHOOLS
    33-2401.  DEFINITIONS . . . .
    (1)  "Accredited" means that a school has been
recognized or approved as meeting the standards
established by an accrediting agency recognized by the
board or the United States department of education.”

You continue with,

“No where in the city code do I see where it says that
an institution has to be approved to teach higher ed
courses.”

“47. Institution, Educational. A college or university
supported by
public or private funds, tuitions, contributions or
endowments, giving advanced academic instructions as
approved by the State Board of Education or by a
recognized
accrediting agency . . .” MCC § 11-9 TITLE 4 - ZONING
CODE

“giving advanced academic instructions as approved by
the State Board of Education”

You continue,
“So lets say that NSA was ‘approved to teach higher ed
courses’ by the
SBOE, how current is this list on the SBOE website?
Have you actually called the SBOE to see if NSA is
approved?  Is it possible that the list has not been
updated yet?”

The list was last updated in January of 2005. So if it
was in fact accredited, both the state and the federal
government missed it and forgot to record it. Which
means NSA would lose hundreds of thousands of dollars
in federal and state revenue. Do you think if NSA was
accredited, it would in fact be silent about the
federal dollars they are not getting but should be? I
think they would want that revenue.

 You continue with,

“If accredited means approved, then why does the code
state "approved OR accredited?"

It does NOT say that. It says as approved by the State
Board of Education or by a recognized accrediting
agency. It could say accredited by the State Board of
Education or by an accrediting agency and mean the
same thing.

“Why wouldn't the code just say "approved" or just say
"accredited" and not both?”

Show me where it says “accredited”. It uses the term
“accrediting agency” because that is what they are
called by the SBOE and the US Department of Education.

Tell me Mr. Rigsby, what words should the code use to
make sure that when it says “as approved by the State
Board of Education or by a recognized accrediting
agency” that the school must in fact indeed be a
school approved by the SBOE or an accrediting agency?
What is your burden of REASONABLE proof that it is not
approved; that I must prove it did not fall off the
list of the SBOE, the US Department of Education, and
all known lists identifying all schools?

How about you Mr. Rigsby, PROVE to me that it IS
approved by the SBOE or a recognized accrediting
agency to teach higher academic courses. Or is your
idea of a just society one where the accused it guilty
until proven innocent when an unobtainable degree of
evidence must be provided.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold