[Vision2020] NSA not a college?

Kit Craine kcraine at moscow.com
Sat May 14 10:32:11 PDT 2005

Like Mr. Arnold, I was at the May 12th hearing concerning NSA’s use of
a building in the Central Business District. The question at that
hearing was whether the Zoning Administrators decision that NSA’s use
of the property could be considered a use “similar” to a commercial
school and therefore allowable in the CBD was correct. The ZBOA decided
it wasn’t.

There was NO question that NSA fits the zoning code’s definition of an
EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION.

This is not simply Mr. Curley’s claim.

The Zoning Administrator has stated that IN WRITING when NSA was
located in a residential zone; his letter of January 22, 2005
(available at www.zonemoscow.com) discusses the history of both
commercial schools and educational institutions as permitted uses in
the CBD; it states “I acknowledge that the current use of New St.
Andrews College is not explicitly listed as a permissible use . . .”.

During the hearing, when asked by the Zoning Board of Adjustment,
whether NSA fit fits the zoning code’s definition of an EDUCATIONAL
INSTITUTION, the answer was YES.

Despite this evidence offered at a hearing when  Mr. Arnold was
present, he claims that NSA fits the definition Trade/commercial school
rather than an Educational Institution. The adjectives from the entire
definitions dispute that.

47. Institution, Educational. A college or university supported by
public or private funds, tuitions, contributions or endowments, giving
advanced academic instructions as approved by the State Board of
Education or by a recognized accrediting agency, excluding pre-school,
elementary and junior or senior high schools, and trade and commercial
schools; including fraternity and sorority houses.

80. School, Commercial. A program whereby instruction is given to
pupils in arts, crafts or trades and operated as a commercial
enterprise.

NSA offers A.A. and B.A. degrees in liberal arts and culture. These are
academic studies, not arts, crafts, or trades.

Furthermore, the code does NOT state that the institution must be
accredited. According to the code, criteria is whether it is giving
instructions as approved by the SBOE or by a “recognized accrediting
agency.”

Again, at the hearing there was no question of whether NSA was offering
an approvable course of study. In fact, when the board raised the
question of accreditation, NSA’s answer was that it was in the process
of becoming accredited and that the State treats it as if it is.

Why beat the definitions dead horse? The question this community now
needs to discuss is whether downtown is the appropriate place for ANY
school, college, or University.

Kit Craine
Thus democracy died, stabbed in the back by false rumors and malicious
gossip.