[Vision2020] Groundwater ordinance

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Sat May 14 09:17:21 PDT 2005

Chris,

It is not the intention of the proposed ordinance to sift the fact
from fiction of various geologic musings.  The taskforce was
empaneled by the county commissioners (the local elected officials
you ask us to trust) and given a specific task: draft an ordinance
for consideration by the Planning Commission and the Board of
Commissioners that addresses issues of groundwater protection in the
Moscow sub-basin.

http://www.latah.id.us/Dept/BOCC/Ordinance285.pdf

It was not intended as the arbiter of geological theorizing although
we did have our discussions. One appointed member is a professional
hydrogeologist. I've read more about local hydrogeology in the past
few years than I ever wanted to. We also heard presentations from
researchers on this topic from the UI. I've got to say that some of
the geological theories you post as fact sound remarkably similar to
those of the Naylor's geologist and are unsupported by either
published literature or current research. (buried ridges, underground
river channels, new sources of water) but It isn't my intention to
argue them on this list. The arguments become very technical quickly
as in the difference between a buried ridge and a fold.

The point is that water levels in basalt wells in the Moscow
sub-basin are declining and the county commissioners take their
responsibility to plan for the future seriously. My review of
historical City Wanapum well data indicates that of population trends
continue at the same level as they have traditionally (about 1%/year)
the City Wanapum wells will show a precipitous decline in water level
in about 20 years. This time, there won't be a deeper aquifer to go
to.

I agree: surface water collection for municipal water supply needs to
be developed. Given the politics of decision-making, infrastructure
cost and design/engineering/construction times involved, twenty years
is a good window to work within. In the meantime, protecting,
enhancing and using what we have wisely is our best course.

Mark Solomon