[Vision2020] Emergency ordinance information

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Fri May 13 08:12:32 PDT 2005

Chris:

Let's take it from the top, geologically and
hydrogeologically speaking. Research studies
reported in Soil Sciences and Geoderma (two
leading scientific journals in the soils
discipline) conclude that recharge to groundwater
on the Moscow Sub-Basin is for all intents and
purposes not happening via precipitation falling
on the loess soils (O'Geen, 2003, 2005). 58% of
the Moscow Sub-basin is composed of layered
sediments identified as the Latah Formation (Bush
and Pierce 1998). These sediments generally lie
between the granitic uplands of Moscow Mountain,
Buffalo Hump and Paradise Ridge. They were formed
over time as successive Columbia River Flood
Basalts flooded in from the west temporarily
damming the natural stream flows rising from the
granitic margins. Those streams deposited
granitic sands and gravels eroded from the
uplands. Eventually, the streams would find an
exit from the dammed area and a stream channel
would define itself. Soils and clays would then
form on the new land to each side of the stream
channels. Then, the basalts would flood in again
and the whole process would repeat. The older
Grande Ronde Formation is composed of four such
flows, itself sitting on to of even older flows.
The more recent Wanapum Formation is composed of
two flows. (I'll send anyone that wants the pages
of references that boil down to this paragraph).

That's a lot of layers in the cake. Generally,
the paleostream sands and gravels are where water
is found. They are also the most likely pathway
for water to enter the basalt formations that
provide the vast majority of water upon which the
people, community and economy of the Moscow area
rely. The deep Grande Ronde aquifer waters are
age dated at 10,000 to 25,000 years old
indicating little to no recharge through the
sediments. There is a virtually impermeable layer
of clay between the Wanapum and Grande Ronde
Formations that prevents water vertically moving
between the two. The result is an almost
continuous decline in static water levels in
Grande Ronde wells.

We know from City of Moscow well records that the
Wanapum basalts do recharge over time. Pre-1960,
Moscow drew all its water from the Wanapum,
resulting in a precipitous decline in water
levels by the time the first Grande Ronde wells
were drilled in an effort to take the pressure
off the Wanapum. It worked... for a while. Water
levels "rebounded" over the next 30 years. Then
the City outgrew its Grande Ronde supply and
resumed Wanapum pumping. Wanapum levels are on
their downward slide again. Assuming the current
PBAC agreements to hold Grande Ronde pumping
level in an attempt to stabilize water levels is
maintained, all increased Moscow water demand
will necessarily be supplied from the Wanapum.

Recap: 23,000 people in the Moscow Sub-basin rely
exclusively on groundwater for their water
supply. The Grande Ronde aquifer shows no known
recharge and is steadily declining. The Wanapum
aquifer does recharge and likely receives the
majority of its recharge through the coarse
sediments (sand and gravels) of the Latah
Formation via paleostream deposits that connect
to the granitic uplands.

Digging a hole ("mining"), especially into the
water bearing sands and gravels, poses a
significant risk to the recharge flow path to the
Wanapum aquifer. Digging a hole also removes the
natural buffer of the soils and clays that
protect the sands and gravels from contamination.
Likewise, siting activities that produce water
pollutants in the areas of the most likely
recharge potential (those with the highest ratio
of sands and gravels to soils and clay) is
inviting future groundwater contamination.

Add all that up and you have the scientific basis for the draft ordinance.

Some specific points you've raised: Dairies and
livestock are not prohibited until they exceed
100 animal units (See definition in the
ordinance). That would be 50 horses, 100 cow/calf
pairs, 200 sheep, etc). While that number is
somewhat arbitrary, the taskforce felt that it
provided enough room for exactly the type of
small dairy or livestock operation while
balancing it against the risk to the sub-basin
water supply. No permit would be needed for less
than 10 animal units.

The Idaho Legislature amended the Land Use
Planning Act this winter to require that
landscape irrigation be watered from surface
water sources before groundwater is so utilized.
The draft ordinance incorporates that requirement
for all new residential development. Given that
water conservation is the cheapest and easiest
"new" source of water, the draft addresses how
groundwater is applied to outdoor irrigation.
Common sense is liberally applied with phrases
such as "to the maximum extent practicable" and
encouragement of precipitation collection and
reuse for irrigation needs.

Let the discussion continue!

Mark Solomon