[Vision2020] I am not Dr. Laura (was definition of schizophrenia)

joanopyr at earthlink.net joanopyr at earthlink.net
Wed May 4 12:59:37 PDT 2005

Dear Visionaries:

I am not Dr. Laura.  Consequently, I don't do amateur psychological diagnoses over the Internet.  In using the term "schizophrenic" last night, I meant schizophrenic behavior, which is best described by Ted's European definition, which reads, in part:

"The schizophrenic disorders are characterized in general by fundamental and characteristic distortions of thinking and perception, and by inappropriate or blunted affect. Clear consciousness and intellectual capacity are usually maintained, although certain cognitive deficits may evolve in the course of time. The disturbance involves the most basic functions that give the normal person a feeling of individuality, uniqueness, and self-direction. The most intimate thoughts, feelings, and acts are often felt to be known to or shared by others, and explanatory delusions may develop, to the effect that natural or supernatural forces are at work to influence the afflicted individual's thoughts and actions in ways that are often bizarre. The individual may see himself or herself as the pivot of all that happens."
http://www.mentalhealth.com/icd/p22-ps01.html

To some extent, every one of us believes that we are the pivot of all that happens.  (I myself need the occasional pithy reminder that this is not the case.  I get these from my kind and patient spouse, Melynda, who really ought to be earning hazard pay . . . )  That said, I think it's easy enough to find numerous examples of all of the above behaviors on Vision 2020, particularly in these last few weeks.  When I suggest that we stop responding to the ongoing barrage of multiple, accusatory, libelous, wild postings, I mean that we are not helping ourselves, our community, or the posters themselves by arguing with them.  We might help those posters and ourselves by judiciously ignoring them, by using block sender, and by attempting to return this list to more functional community dialogue and conversation.

I do not make fun of the mentally ill.  I have lived with not one but two manic-depressives in the course of my 38 years, and I myself suffer from an anxiety/panic disorder.  I'm not ashamed of this.  I receive treatment for it, and I am happy and functional as a consequence.  (Hooray, medication!)  But if we want Vision 2020 to carry on, if we want to talk with one another without shouting, without libel/slander, without having our inboxes clogged with delusional rants, then we have to recognize that we have a problem and then come to some consensus about how we should deal with it.  I've made my own suggestion.  Follow it or not, as you see fit.  But know that I don't suggest the ignore/block method because I have no sympathy or understanding for the mentally ill.  Far from it.

Oscar Levant once said, "There is a fine line between genius and insanity; I have erased that line."  I had occasion to paraphrase him on this list not long ago.  Better to read his words in the original, I think.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com