[Vision2020] Due Tribute

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed May 4 10:48:20 PDT 2005

Keely,

You can justify your actions, or inactions, all you
want. But the fact of the matter is that members of
the Facilities Planning Committee attacked two members
of the community for publicly criticizing the plan put
forth by the FPC. They did not attack or address the
ideas or questions they raised. They attacked the
people and their character. I am not bringing up a
church because no church was mentioned that I recall.
Nor am I saying EVERY member did attack or say
inappropriate things. But many did and the rest said
nothing to correct them. Or just added to the flame.
This is NOT the way public officials during an open
public meeting should behave. And one of people the
FPC members attacked served in the military (this had
nothing to with their attack or my argument but since
Keely threw this into one of her arguments in an
attempt to make an emotional appeal, I will too).

"it's hardly strange that the group that forwarded the
proposal to Dr. Donicht, who then recommended it to
the
board, which then voted unanimously to approve it,
would work for its passage."

Of course not. I admire people that work on their OWN
time after work to make changes in their community.
However, that does not give them the right to plan the
campaign and solicit donations for the cause during a
public meeting using public facilities. Nor does it
give them the right to attack the character, religion,
or values of those that disagree with them and express
their opinion in a lawful manner.

You can attack the press all you want. I could care
less. You can take pictures of the editorial board and
tape them to your dart board. However, as an official
in an elected position, attacking them publicly at a
public meeting, is not appropriate.

Keely, you cannot say that you represented the
majority of your constituents because they voted
against your position. Nonetheless, you did stand up
for what you thought was right. And that is admirable,
even if you were wrong in the end. However, I expect a
person elected to representative their constituency
not to ignore their rights, dignity, and perspectives
in their official capacity when in the role of their
representative. The majority of people that opposed
this levy deserve to have a representative too in
which to express their point of view.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold

=== message truncated ===