[Vision2020] Response to Hall

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Sat Mar 26 22:03:44 PST 2005

Dear Mr. Hall,

When I studied the Reformation in graduate school I focused on Luther and
not Calvin, so that is why I defer to Robbins and Gerety (R&G) and
summarize their book against Wilson.  In their discussion about what it is
to be a Christian, R&G did not mention Wilson's "second sense" of being a
Christian because they presumably did not find fault with it.  They do,
however, disagree with you and Wilson that baptism alone, and presumably
because it is public and objective, means that one has joined the Covenant
and is somehow a "believing Christian."  You will have to engage R&G in a
direct debate about the biblical passages they say that Wilson cannot use
to support such a broad and liberal first condition for being a Christian.

         With regard to the creeds, I commend you and your church for
embracing previous traditions, but the issue here is whether your
eclecticism is consistent with what most other Reformed evangelicals
believe.  R&G object to the fact that Wilson gives these creeds authority
that only the Bible can have. Affirming them may make you an orthodox
Christian, but it does not make you a Reformed Christian.

Again you will have to engage R&G in their specific criticisms.

Thanks for the dialogue,

Nick Gier

"