[Vision2020] The Shroud of Hype

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 25 13:32:15 PST 2005

Hi Kai,

Thanks for the photography clarifications.  Do you need a convex lens for a camera obscura, though?  The image on the shroud is not especially clear; it's the image on negatives of pictures of the shroud that are clear.  And would it not be possible to fix a dead body in such a way that it didn't sway?  I hate to be gross, but one needn't suspend a body from a rope -- one could, well, nail it in place.  (Man, I hate saying this so close to Easter.  I'll be accused of being anti-Christian again.)

Anyhow, the Forbes piece isn't the only critique of Nate's methodology.  Photographers 'round the country have been talking about the long history of sun prints, and etc., for the past week.  Oh, and you might want to take a look at some of the Shroud/Camera Obscura websites regarding method  They account for the washing of the shroud post image-burning and the fixative issue.  Not that I have a horse in this race because I don't.  I also like the "it's a real but stolen burial shroud" theory.  Why?  Because that would be REALLY gross and thus quite in keeping with the habits and proclivities of those who actually dealt in the medieval relics trade  The toe-bones of saints?  And vials of blood?  Where do you think they got those?  Uh-huh.  No corpse was safe from their predations.

All the best,
Joan/Auntie