[Vision2020] Response to Mike Hall

Nicholas Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Thu Mar 24 16:11:30 PST 2005

Greetings:

I just now getting around to responding to Mike Hall's kind invitation to meet Doug Wilson personally.  That is not necessary for me because I've known him since 1975. I had been on cordial terms with him until he refused to come clean about the slavery booklet in the Fall of 2003.  I'm afraid I can no longer call him a person with any intellectual integrity.

Mr. Hall and several others wish to describe Wilson's theology as mainline evangelical, and Hall offered us two creedal affirmations that members Christ Church recite.  What he doesn't mention is that Wilson's theology is not mainline in his belief that husbands should vote for their wives, that Southern slavery wasn't as bad as it has been painted, and that Old Testament laws should become the laws of the land.

With regard to Christ Church being a proud member of the Reformed tradition, I refer you to a good book: "Not Reformed at All" by John W. Robbins and Sean Gerety published by the Trinity Foundation.  These authors easily demonstrate that Wilson diverges from Calvin on many basic doctrinal points.  In my debate with Doug Jones on the Trinity, I've also shown that he does not follow the Reformed view of the Trinity.

Yours for less deceptive theology,

Nick Gier