[Vision2020] RE: Kibbie Use & Rights

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 24 16:20:15 PST 2005

Ted,

I guess I missed the point you were trying to make. I have no doubt that the
University of Idaho would try to stop the Nazis from renting the Kibbie
Dome. They would have to at least try for the sake of addressing public
outrage. This would no doubt lead to a court battle. As would be the case if
Christ Church wanted to exercise their rights and the UI tried to stop them.

I also agree that the UI does not always fight to protect the rights of
students, faculty, and the general public. Which is a shame because it is a
university, and universities are suppose to hold to the ideals of freedom,
equality and justice for all in high regard.

I remember when the ASUI tried to get Bob Hoover to include sexual
orientation in the anti-discrimination clause of the University. Hoover
responded publicly in a forum by saying it already was included and moved
on. Of course it is not, and anyone that picks up a copy of the policy can
read that it is not. It was a brilliant political move to avoid public
debate, but it also was not one that stood up for the principles of
equality. The only anti-gay policy at UI is in the ASUI rules, no place
else. Sad really considering that we are moving into the 21st century. UI is
not known for being a place of equal opportunity. The students are more
justice and equality orientated then the administration.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold