[Vision2020] wireless public access points

Tony Ray tony at turbonet.com
Thu Mar 24 15:15:12 PST 2005

Debbie,

The merchants who provide these access points expect you to be at their
premises buying stuff from them in exchange for using their access points.
For example, the motels expect you to be renting a room and restaurants
expect you to be eating at their restaurants *while* using their wireless
access points. They are not "public" in the sense that you can just hook up
to the service from your house.  We have a "Publicly Switched Telephone
Network" but Verizon is still going to charge you for hooking up your
telephone.  So don't be misled by the word "public".

What you are proposing to do is against the law, a felony.  If you want to
look it up on the Internet, use the keywords "wardriving" and "arrests" on
Google.  "war" in wardriving refers to warez - a hacker term for "pirated"
as in pirated software, music, movies, etc.

Tony Ray
Cactus Computer Co.